Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Guides question

Mr. Moir,

It would also be nice to be able to have layer specific guides unless I am missing a way to do this already.
    I have several drawings that have up to 50 guide lines and several layers.Gets kinda cluttered after awhile so having only the guides nessessary for a particular layer would be great.
    Thanks for a truly fantastic graphics program.

Mike

Yes,

Layer specific guides does sound like a great solution. I'm really suprised no one has suggested it before.

Sheff
    www.sheff.com
    Sheff
    My Site

Yes on top would be better, I usually work with guidelines in this position.

I was going to suggest that perhaps a good way to implement this would be for the 'save template' function to remember where you placed the guides layer, so you could have the choice for new documents.

But having said that I have saved many documents with guidelines on top and on opening the guidelines are still in that top position. Had a quick test with save template. Yes the guide layer does default to the bottom, but only in the layer gallery. In the document and on drawing an object in layer 1 the object is actually behind the guidelines. If you then create a new layer, objects drawn on this layer will be above the guidelines as normal.

Fairly strange, but it does mean you can save a template with the guidelines on top for all the drawing layers saved with the template. If you subsequently need the guides layer behind all other layers then drag it from the Background layers area to the bottom of the Foreground layers area. I have kind of noticed this behaviour before but didn't really give it much thought until now.

Regards

Su
    "If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life." - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!