Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hi Folks,
    I am trying to superimpose an coloured image of the woman without the background, on to a photo of Ayres Rock, to look as though it is carved in the stone. I have got this far but am wondering if I am on the right track as all I want is the image --not the background of the print. If you can understand all this I would apptreciate your help / advice. Regards Hamish

So far what I've done is crop the image, convert it to a negitave, clone it,adjusted the colours to normal and adjusted the image with the keys. Think that's right
    Boy I feel out of depth talking to professionals

[This message was edited by Hamish on April 24, 2003 at 06:50.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carved_in_stone.gif 
Views:	691 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	2633  

Hi Folks,
    I am trying to superimpose an coloured image of the woman without the background, on to a photo of Ayres Rock, to look as though it is carved in the stone. I have got this far but am wondering if I am on the right track as all I want is the image --not the background of the print. If you can understand all this I would apptreciate your help / advice. Regards Hamish

So far what I've done is crop the image, convert it to a negitave, clone it,adjusted the colours to normal and adjusted the image with the keys. Think that's right
    Boy I feel out of depth talking to professionals

[This message was edited by Hamish on April 24, 2003 at 06:50.]

Looks like you are working in a Paint program and not in Xara. Am I correct?

And we're not professionals in this conference, just enthusiastic Xara users.

In Xara you can take the image you have created, place it over a stone-filled shape, soften it a bit, and apply a Brightness transparency to achieve the result posted below.

You can also create the embossed effect using Sean Sedwards' Emboss plug-in filter found in the Xara Xone Shareware Page.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

<a href="http://www.xaraxone.com">
    The Xara Xone </a>

Name:	carve.jpg 
Views:	684 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	5797  

Hi Gary thanks for your reply, To answer your question everything was done in Xara, I hav'nt used any paint program No

Re photo --The background to the image is still there though Gary --What I want to do is remove that, so the image only xcan be superimposed onto a photo of eg Ayres Rock so that it appears as though it is carved in the rock.Many thanks Hamish.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I hav'nt used any paint program No <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Perhaps you should.

Doesn't XaraX have a bevel effect? possibly you can draw a silhouette and use it to get the effect your after, the emboss thing Gary mentioned might do the job.

I don't have XaraX so my advise leaves a lot to be desired.

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all your advice, it is appreciated, but obviously I did'nt explain myself so I have reposted in the hope this might clarify what I am after.

Appologiesfor the confusion

Regards Hamish

Name:	Carved_in_stone_2.gif 
Views:	594 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	9356  

Using the Freehand and Brush Tool, draw an outline around the shape and create a closed path by connecting the last control point to the first drawn control point. (You can also use the Shape Editor Tool to create an outline of connected line segments then use the Shape Editor Tool to drag on the line segments to make them into graceful curves).

Select the photo and the mask and Arrange > Combine Shapes... Intersect Shapes. This masks the photo and drops out the background.

You can also place the mask in the back (Ctrl b) and Arrange > Apply ClipView which does the same thing but allows you to edit the mask and the contents separately.

I also applied a small amount of Feathering using the Change size of feather region slider on the top right area of the Infobar to soften the outline.

This help?

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

<a href="http://www.xaraxone.com">
    The Xara Xone </a>

Name:	mask.jpg 
Views:	582 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	3642  

Far be it from me to ever try to out do the Grand Poobah of Xara, but here's my process for doing what Gary did that seems a little more efficient.

Highlight your image/photo and from the Arrange menu select Convert to Editable Shapes (Ctrl-Shift-S).

This turns your image into a shape and by using the Shape Tool (F4) you can add nodes to the border of the image and drag them into place.

With Gary's plan you create a new shape and then clip the photo into that shape so Xara has to track two different items, my plan uses only one item.

Also, since you're directly modifying the shape of the image it's a little easier than trying to manipulate a shape to match. At least it's easier for me http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Hi Gary & Michael,

Thanks for your patience and advice, I'll try all those ideas and repost with the final when I get it all sorted out.

Kind Regards
    Hamish

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Is this the effect you want to achieve?

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--

Name:	carved01.jpg 
Views:	465 
Size:	169.0 KB 
ID:	11438  
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--