Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi everyone, my name is Jim, I am new to TalkGraphic.com. This is my question. What software program will allow me to take conventional color or grayscale photographs and reduce them to sketches? Will Xara work for this particular project? Also, a sample of what I am trying to do can be viwed at
    JimDavid Allio ( Digital Galleries) "Sketches of Ginger"

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Hi everyone, my name is Jim, I am new to TalkGraphic.com. This is my question. What software program will allow me to take conventional color or grayscale photographs and reduce them to sketches? Will Xara work for this particular project? Also, a sample of what I am trying to do can be viwed at
    JimDavid Allio ( Digital Galleries) "Sketches of Ginger"

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Hello

First of all your URL does not work. Please make sure you posted the correct URL.

Depending upon the contrast in your photo image, any edge detection filter should work.

The attached image was done in Xara.

1. The original image

2. Select the color image, click the white color on screen palette to make image a black and white negative

3. Apply 45 degree Edge Detect (Utilities > Bitmap Effects and Plug-ins > Bitmap Effects > Special Effects. Select 45 degree Edge Detect from the drop down list

4. Same Bitmap Special Effects menu. Apply Roberts Cross to enhance the detail. Experiment with the filters for this last step, you might be able to do better than this.

For more information on Xara's Bitmap Effects see WebXealot #27 (or ask Tad Bridenthal [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

to rub elm beehives
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	color2line.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	10645  

First, here is the correct url (just drop the "www" from the original):

http://allio.cityusa.net/

As to a program to change images to sketches, do you want a scalable vector result, or is a raster image OK? If raster is OK, Photoshop and its filters would be my suggestion. If vector, then Xara would be my pick, although I'm not sure how I'd go about doing it. I've come up with a method for color images but have not tried getting a "sketchy" result yet.

Using Photoshop and filters would (for me at least) be the easiest and quickest way to achieve a sketch look from a photo. Getting a vector output would take longer but might be worth it in the end if scalability and flexability is important.

Stan

'Edge Detect'? 'Roberts Cross'?

Hmmm... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>