Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have an image I need to get to the printer.
    They have not heard of Xara but will take a PDF file or one of the others listed below. I downloaded the freeware product PDF995 from the Xara Xone site. However the printer requests it being saved in a dpi of 600. I assume I change settings in the outsource and seperation CMYK in printer preferance. When I do (cmyk) that and save in pdf file it all looks brownish. I have no clue; should it look this way?

Here are the file formats listed in preference:
    Windows - CorelDRAW, InDesign, pageMaker, photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, Publisher. (pdf must be saved in Press resolution and can only be seperated as CMYK.)and postScript Print file.
    eps used when files contan vector art.

HELP is greatly appreciated-
    Thanks so much- A Greenhorn;
    Meia

I have an image I need to get to the printer.
    They have not heard of Xara but will take a PDF file or one of the others listed below. I downloaded the freeware product PDF995 from the Xara Xone site. However the printer requests it being saved in a dpi of 600. I assume I change settings in the outsource and seperation CMYK in printer preferance. When I do (cmyk) that and save in pdf file it all looks brownish. I have no clue; should it look this way?

Here are the file formats listed in preference:
    Windows - CorelDRAW, InDesign, pageMaker, photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, Publisher. (pdf must be saved in Press resolution and can only be seperated as CMYK.)and postScript Print file.
    eps used when files contan vector art.

HELP is greatly appreciated-
    Thanks so much- A Greenhorn;
    Meia

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Meia,

we've had so many threads about files for printing, and I can't remember everything I've contributed, so my advice would be that you do a search here in the forum with keywords like *.eps, Acrobat, GhostScript, color separation.

You'll have more than enough to read over the weekend ;-}

jens
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Hello Meia

Unfortunatley, PDF995 is a very basic product with very few settings. And Xara cannot create a CMYK PDF file. (Oops, sorry. I just tried it and it can indeed create a CMYK PDF file). If you have any bitmap images in your document, you can create bitmap copies at 600dpi, but unless the bitmaps have that resolution to begin with, you will only have the actual resolution of the bitmap. So, if your image is 150dpi, for example, and you convert it to 600dpi, it will still only have the sharpeness of 150dpi. So the highter resolution your image, the better when you convert it to bitmap.

PDF is a vector and bitmap file format. All vector parts of the doucment will be device dependent and so you do not need to worry about the resolution for text, or vector drawn objects.

Refer to Xara Xone Workbook 27 Page 6 for more information on creating a PDF file for printing.

The is one file format your printer did not suggest but should work fine. CMYK TIFF which Xara can produce and which you can give your printer at the requested resolution. 600dpi translates into 300LPI (lines per inch) in printing resolution.

Export your document at a CMYK TIFF. Change the resolution to 600dpi and I would recommend not using any compression. This will make a very large file (depending on the final print size) and you will probably need to put the file on a CD or DVD disc to give to the printer.

The benefit of a TIFF file is that it is a bitmap image and will include everything in your document including text.

Hope this provides an alternative to PDF.

Gary

Here is an idea for some of you printer knowledgeable types to make a buck or two... Offer to take the xar file and make it a PDF AI whatever for a couple bucks. If the file isn't translatable, tell em what to fix (blends, tranparencies etc.) and they get to fix it. You just make translate it and ensures it looks like the original...

Meia

I really don't understand why people think that PDF995 is the bees knees. Whenever I've tried PDF995 I haven't been able to check the PDF without that awful web page coming up. No, I use CutePDF (now renamed CutePDF Writer) which is exactly what I believe you need to create pdfs.

The program is not crippled in the way the PDF995 is and you use it in exactly the same way. You do not get that ghastly web page come up and you can examine the pdf immediately. I should add that the pdf it creates is NOT overlaid with a watermark of any description - it is perfectly clean and usable. You will need to download two files, one the application and the other a convertor which comprises the Ghostscript files - something over 4Mb. Install both and after that, away you go.

I've just created a PDF of a graphic which should be suitable for whatever you wish to use it for. And I believe I read on the site that you can change the quality of the pdfs using the command line but I can't be absolutely sure. I would strongly suggest you have a go and see what you think - give it a try.

Tracey

PS: the web address is www.cutepdf.com

PPS: Just checked out the web site and yes, the quality can be changed by modifying the configuration file (*.rsp) but this is only a text file. Also, the file version produced is 1.3 which is compatible with Acrobat Distiller 4.

I've downloaded both PDF995 and CutePDF and will say the Cute is much nicer in ease of use and the lack of annoying ads. I assume they both work the same as far as end results? I'll also use the TIFF method which I will ask the printer about. I sure appreciate all this knowledge and it is very helpful. Any more help and info is greatly appreciated it. I have come to rely on this forum! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Thanks-
    Meia

Tracey

I'm not sure about CutePDF but I know that PDF995 is offered as freeware (with those anoying ads) and as a shareware version without the ads.

What is the price for CutePDF?

Gary

I downloaded CutePDF and it is free - with no ads! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Meia

Gary

I first found CutePDF (as I said in my previous message, now renamed CutePDF Writer) via a message posted on this forum by Joel Schilling. I thought it could be worth a look and have had it installed ever since.

It IS a free version and does no less than PDF995 but the one advantage it has is that it does NOT bring up that awful web page/advertising blurb!

I use CutePDF quite a bit although I do have the fule version of Acrobat 5 installed as well. Thing is Gary, it saves one step in the process of creating a PDF and you have no web pages/advertising stuff appear.

Of course, if you want to buy the full version of CutePDF, then I believe it to be something like $49.95 - but I don't think this is any different to PDF995! I personally would advise ANYONE to look at CutePDF first before going for PDF995 - I consider it to be a much better program.

Tracey

PS: Correction. I've just checked the PDF995 site and it would appear that the full version/suite comprises three programs and to purchase all of them will cost $19.95 or each one individually costs $9.95. Nevertheless, the free version still has that web page stuff!!!