Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

... called "football" all over the world...

It is only Americans that THROW a ball around the field and still call it football...

... all this was a great mystery to me... until I went back in time in a time-machine that I built out of an old toaster, some canadian beer bottles and a pizza box...

Here is the scoop (You may quote me):

In 1770, outside Boston, the British Captain Edgar Humpme decided to cheer up the troops by putting together a 'football.'

He did not have access to cowhide so he used the skin of a raccoon instead. But as you all know one raccoon does not make a ball...

Anyone who has ever kicked that ugly thing on the ground knows that you just can't kick that bugger unless someone else is keeping it upright for you...

... Well, let's just say that the game got really ugly until someone decided to throw the football instead...

That one initial game that Captain Humpme started went on for years... It was a very chaotic time amongst the British troops... and it eventually lead to American Independence in 1776.

In celebration of Independence the game has been played ever since... as 'football.'

226 years later... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Risto

risto@ristoklint.com

Visit my web site!

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Yes, I hope they will beat the arrogant Germans (though I have a German passport!). It's just that I don't like the comments of the German football team, how superior they are and that they have almost won the Worldcup.

Please give them a VERY hard time, show them their limits, and show them where arrogance will end up - in the ticket for the flight home BEFORE they will even be able to blurb another bad comment.

My bet: 2:1 for America. My wish: 4:1 for America. My dream: 5:0 for America.

GO FOR IT !

FIESTA !

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

It's ignorant of you to say that football is boring, considering it's the most popular sport in the world and unlike any other team sport most widely spread. It's a great sport because it's open to everyone who wants to play it. Even the poorest people in Africa can make something round and drop 4 objects on any field marking the goal posts, which is one of the reasons why a country like Senegal is in the quarter final. Mention a name like Cruyff, Maradona, Pele anywhere in the world (expect North-America) and people know what you are talking about and that means that there is enough fascination to keep millions, if not billions hooked to this game. It's really nice to see countries from all over the world compete in this sport. To see for example how much impact the results of the national team of Korea have in their country just gives me a big smile on my face. See, we have to respect each other sports interests, instead of telling everybody how boring soccer is and how one should change the rules, just because you don't understand what the game is all about. The fact that millions love football and baseball in the States, doesn't give me the right to give me my personal opinion, when I don't have any connection with the sport. There is a reason why 100.000 watch a baseball game in the States and there is a reason why people watch Barcelona-Madrid with 150.000 people in the Stadium. We all have our favorite sport and the favorite team and players.
    You know what? I was very pleased with World Cup Football in the States; great games and packed stadiums. It showed that even in the States people were able to make this a great game for people to unite.

I wote for Senegal - think they need this championship more than any of the other countries.

Øystein

http://www.heimesider.com

I checked out your web-site...neat [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I have a question. I have a web-site where I want to use a panaroma shot too. How many bytes is your panaroma shot including applets?
    I don't have a lot of web-space left, that's why.

Football is an older term than soccer. Originally the game was played in the nude by the ancient Greeks using the bare feet to kick the ball ... hence the name football. Later, they started wearing clothes and put socks on their feet to kick the ball .... the game was then known as soccer [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img].

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com http://www.dkingdesign.com/stuff/signature.jpg

Risto, David

You guys slay me. Great stories.
    Personally, since the Canadian team did not get in, the Dutch team did not get in (my wife is Dutch),I have to cheer for England, because of Owen Hargreaves, who should be playing with Canada; but then he wouldn't be playing at all so I wouldn't have anyone to cheer for. Good on the USA, Senegal and Korea. I was in Holland in 72 when the Dutch made the final game. You could have fired a machine gun down any street in Holland during that game and never hit anyone.
    They really need to learn to play at a decent hour though. Those 3-4am games can really wear you out.

Arnold

That's the best explanation of the term 'soccer' I've ever heard. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

And I don't think it's fair to say that US Football isn't named correctly - because they too kick the ball with their feet (field goals, kick-offs, punting, etc) - just not as much as soccer.

As far as soccer goes, I really don't care what they call it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] I think it was a fun sport to play back in high school. I enjoyed it, and I enjoy playing Fifa on my PSX2 console! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] I think, however, I must agree with Dale - if they made those changes (I even like the idea of a half point for hitting the bar! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ), then it would be more enjoyable to watch. While I loved playing soccer, I find it boring to watch...but please DON'T take offense to that, because I also find baseball boring to watch (except for the fast-pitch softball league my sister was in - I swear those "girls" (I should say women) put a lot more energy and heart into the game than the major leagues).

You have the same ignorant attitude Dale has towards Football. Read my earlier post and maybe learn something from it, instead of talking nasty about a sport that's just not your favorite one [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    You have the same ignorant attitude Dale has towards Football. Read my earlier post and maybe learn something from it, instead of talking nasty about a sport that's just not your favorite one. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What ignorant attitude? I just think the sport could be more exciting and interesting. That isn't ignorance, just opinion and preference. I think baseball is boring, and many other games, too. I did not enjoy hockey until they changed some of the rules, and now the NHL is much more enjoyable. I don't think the rules of football will ever change, so I'll just watch something else. There are plenty of other good sports to choose from. And BTW, I don't choose my sports on the basis of how many fans there are, or how popular the sport is. Now THAT would be stupid, not ignorant. (Ignorance can be cured, but stupid goes all the way to the bone.) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

And who was talking nasty? No one said anything nasty except what you did in the above quote. We just gave opinions. I would like to see football become a popular sport in the USA, but I'd LOVE to see it become a better game.

"Read my earlier post and maybe learn something from it." What arrogance! Fanatic sports fans get very nasty when they perceive their sport is being put down, which I did NOT, nor did Earl. I have no desire to put down football, but wanted to share my views about how I thought it could be improved. These views are held by many people that I know. To millions of people it is a boring sport! So what? It isn't ignorant to say something is boring or make suggestions about how to improve it, it's an opinion.

Chill Gaussian!

I don't think your views reflect those of the majority of the forum members.

And after all, it is just a freaking game! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I've also played soccer. It's great fun to play, but a hell of a lot of running!

http://www.eyesitewebdesign.com/laundryman1.gif
    Eye Site Web Design
    Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll