Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

The CG is awesome!

My Best,
    Gare

The CG is awesome!

My Best,
    Gare

Hi Gare -- yep, I went to see it, and I enjoyed it a great deal. I wasn't sure I'd like the robots, as shown by the trailers, but I found that they really worked very well and I liked the amount of personality that came through. The cg fx were great IMO, and I enjoyed the storyline too (I'm a fan of Azimov's robots and Foundation stories and this certainly had some similarities going for it there). I tend to go see most scifi films (I liked many of the cg fx in "The Chronicles of Riddick" -- the sets and bgs were really nicely done. The story and dialog could have been better, but then the Riddick character was pretty true to form so.....). Now I plan to go see "AVP" (Aliens vs Predators) tomorrow, and though I've not heard much good about it, I still want to see for myself. (I liked the first 2 Aliens flicks best, and the first Predator). --- Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Hi Gare

it just got to New Zealand now ,des look quite cool though..

Saw it yesterday. FX are stunning.
    It's one of the few Asimov stories I haven't read but I was interested to see in the closing credits "Suggested by a story by Isaac Asimov" rather than the usual "Based on....". I can only assume it didn't follow the story line very closely. Must get the book & check it out.

There were trailers for "Chronicles of Riddick" & "AVP" which looked pretty good. I might catch "Chronicles of Riddick" in the next couple of days. What did you think of AVP, Maya?

Hi Roger -- Yeah, I went to see AVP last night! The reviews of it were pretty dismal, but since I don't always find myself in agreement with the critics I wanted to see for myself.

I went really with no expectations other than to see both creatures in action. There was plenty of that, some pretty tense and scary moments too, and the fight scenes between the two were furocious! I don't want to spoil the film for you, but the cg fx were well done, very cool look to the inside of the temple pyramid which kept changing its room configurations every 10 minutes making it impossible for the people to know exactly where they were and how to get back to the entrance. It was like a Chinese puzzle box with huge moving rock walls. The storyline was ok -- not Oscar material, but not worse than most scifi films. It's a short film just under an hour and a half...but that is plenty to show just what the 2 creatures can do in this showdown. For the Predators this is an initiation rite. There is quite a bit of history revealed about them in the story. There is a survivor at the end...but I won't spoil it for you. I can say I found it edge of your seat scary in lots of places and I had fun seeing it. As long as you don't expect a complex storyline you can just go with the viceral nature of this one and enjoy it. Nothing beats the first "Alien" or the first "Predator" still on my scorecard though.
    Have fun! ---Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Thanks for that, Maya.
    I find with movies like that it's best to go in with your brain in neutral and go with the flow.
    I agree with your thoughts on the originals. It's a shame they couldn't make it a 3 way contest with Ripley included, but I suppose it'd take a giant leap to resurrect her.
    I'll probably catch both of them. Might give me some ideas for some modelling with my C4D package when it arrives.

Cheers

Roger

I agree with all points and reviews here!

And Maya had a particularily good point concerning leaving your logical brain at home when seeing these movies. They're intended to impress you visually, not stimulate your grey matter. (except artistically perhaps)

I understand that every scene had to be filmed 3 times!!!! Once with the actor in a "green suit", once with nothing, and once with a monitor dangling from a pole.

Sure satisfied the robot freak in me!
    Gare
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lars.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	14896  

hahaa hey nice composite Gare.