Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sean, Thanks for your advice. I installed Xara on a second machine that was Win2K SP1. I applied SP2, then went to WindowsUpdate and applied just about everything going. Couldn't recreate the problem I am experiencing on my machine.

Thought I might try (as a last resort) copying every .dll from system & system32 on a healthy Win2K machine to my machine. However Sharing violations prevented that idea working, even when using two other networked machines to initiate and copy to my sick machine.

I can't think of anything else so it looks like I have no choice but to re-format. Here goes for some long hours...

Stu.

Just to let you know I solved the problem with Xara crashing at start-up.

I reformatted and re-installed Windows, however Xara Still continued to crash, which was a mystery.

I decided to investigate the hardware in my machine and found the hard drive connector ever so slightly raised at one end. I re-seated it and wey-hey! Xara ran!

So somehow there must have been 1 pin of the eide connector that had a duff connection. Question is, how come XARA was the only software affected? Windows et-all ran fine, yet Xara has been barfed for weeks.

I suspect it may be something to do with Xara's coding, hitting the hardware for speed; maybe Xara on startup uses code to directly access the hard disk rather than using the Windows api, hence it required an eide operation that is not normally done by Windows. Dunno, just guessing. Who cares - its fixed now. Yipee!!

Stu

Stu, you have been incredibly patient seing as this went on almost a month!

Still, it's fixed now.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Jess