Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Since I've had Xara X I've been busy trying to do as many of Gary's tutorials as time will permit and from the beginning, for me at least, it's been easier and faster to work from a printed copy of the tut than to have to keep switching back and forth from the tut to Xara as I work. However, I've run into problems each time I've tried to print.

First I tried downloading the Zipped files and when I un-zipped them I got each and every file individually and I couldn't figure out a way to put it all together to print it out as it should be. Is there something I'm not doing or not aware of that will allow me to print these files?

I then tried to copy and paste each page into Microsoft's Word, and although it worked ok most of the time. Sometimes it would break elements of a page up and either not print parts or put them out of order.

I've also tried to print right from the site by going to file, print, and it works fine for the first page I print. When I go to the next page and try and print it, I get an error message that say's the program has created a page fault in Spool 32, whatever that means, and it locks up the computer and I have to reboot and start all over again.

Please, Gary, or somebody... what's the answer? It really takes a long time to print a 13 page tutorial one page at a time and rebooting in between each page... Ha Ha

Seriously, can anyone help?

"Old Dog"
    Jack Muhrline

Since I've had Xara X I've been busy trying to do as many of Gary's tutorials as time will permit and from the beginning, for me at least, it's been easier and faster to work from a printed copy of the tut than to have to keep switching back and forth from the tut to Xara as I work. However, I've run into problems each time I've tried to print.

First I tried downloading the Zipped files and when I un-zipped them I got each and every file individually and I couldn't figure out a way to put it all together to print it out as it should be. Is there something I'm not doing or not aware of that will allow me to print these files?

I then tried to copy and paste each page into Microsoft's Word, and although it worked ok most of the time. Sometimes it would break elements of a page up and either not print parts or put them out of order.

I've also tried to print right from the site by going to file, print, and it works fine for the first page I print. When I go to the next page and try and print it, I get an error message that say's the program has created a page fault in Spool 32, whatever that means, and it locks up the computer and I have to reboot and start all over again.

Please, Gary, or somebody... what's the answer? It really takes a long time to print a 13 page tutorial one page at a time and rebooting in between each page... Ha Ha

Seriously, can anyone help?

"Old Dog"
    Jack Muhrline

Since I have access to Acrobat 5, I just gave it a try with chapter 1. Came out great. I won't post it 'cause its Gary's work, but maybe he would do the conversion and post it on the Xaraxone. It's not like he hasn't anything else to do [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] With his OK I'd gladly do it as time permits. It is only a 375k file, so should download OK for folks with modems.

Ich bin ein New Yorker
    "If you can do good, you should."
    W.K. Clark

I've got Acrobat 5.0 also, but what are you doing with it. I've tried downloading the zip file and I can't extract it to Acrobat and when I do extract it I end up with 142 individual files that I can't do anything with.

How did you do it?

Thanks again,

Jack [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

I unzipped the individual chapters into their own folder e.g. chp1. In Acrobat do an "open as webpage", open the index page of each chapter, check the "download entire site" and bingo! Save as "whatever.pdf". My file structure is c:\....xarax\manuals\chp 1 through 16, and xarax\manuals\pdf.

It would not recognize the .pngs in chapter 16. Other than that it took me about 30 minutes to do all 16 chapters.

Good luck.

Ich bin ein New Yorker
    W.K. Clark

. . . before loading the pages into Acrobat, convert each .png to a .jpg, (I think there are only two of them) then use a text editor to alter the page code to read .jpg where it now reads .png (do a search and replace). Then load the pages into Acrobat and, as those funny Americans sometimes say, "Bob's your uncle".

Glen.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who think there are two kinds of people in the world, and those who don’t.

Wow, this sounds like something I'm going to have to work on. I've never used Acrobat before, haven't needed to. I've downloaded hundreds of zip files in the past and they default to my copy of WinZip and all I've ever had to do is un-zip'em and then extract them to the location I want, and presto!

I just took a quick look at Acrobat and I couldn't find anywhere I could open something as a webpage. Oh well, I'll work on it later. I don't have any tutorials I want to download now, anyway. But March is just around the corner.

Thanks again,
    Jack

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GroWeb:
    . . . before loading the pages into Acrobat, convert each .png to a .jpg, (I think there are only two of them) then use a text editor to alter the page code to read .jpg where it now reads .png (do a search and replace). Then load the pages into Acrobat and, as those funny Americans sometimes say, "Bob's your uncle".

Glen.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The funny thing is, you can open a png with "Open as Adobe PDF" in the file menu. I'll do what you suggested. Only had 2 cups of coffee when I started.

Thanks for the tip.

Ich bin ein New Yorker
    W.K. Clark

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Old Dog:

I just took a quick look at Acrobat and I couldn't find anywhere I could open something as a webpage. Oh well, I'll work on it later. I don't have any tutorials I want to download now, anyway. But March is just around the corner.

Thanks again,
    Jack<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you using Adobe Acrobat Reader 5 as oppossed to Adobe Acrobat Ver 5, the authoring program?

Here's a screen grab of the file menu.

Ich bin ein New Yorker
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	acrobatfile.jpg 
Views:	549 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	19247  
    W.K. Clark

Still have difficulties to work tutorials from the screen so I took each tutorial, reorganize the info and pics in a MS-Word document (copy-paste)and printed them. I have a binder for each year (1996 to current).
    That way I can annotate the tutorial...

Note: I did this for personnal use. I respect the author and will not infringe the author's copyright. Gary's name appears on each document as the author. So I have a bunch of DOC files that can be turned into pdf for easier use an sharing...only if Gary gives me the Ok...

Dan Fournier
    Explore the possibilities ! Blender 3D !