Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Please let me know which of these you like best.

These are simple HTML pages, each with one large graphic, created in Xara X, plus a few have a background gif. NOTE: each graphic is between 30-60k, so sorry for the larger ones.

I got the idea from Gary (indirectly) to create the entire page design in Xara, even the text and links. That way I can design the graphic look without immersing myself in code, and can write the code later to accomodate the client's wishes.

#6 is a screen shot of the first example I wrote in HTML.

What do you think of using Xara this way? I realize I need to give my client a disclaimer, and make sure they know that the text will not look quite the same as I've presented it.

I made these for screen resolution of 1024 X 768.

Here's the link: Standley Lake Examples

Dale

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

Consensus seems to be #3, and I agree, it really screams "health centre"! Only criticism would be the obvious, harsh oblique in the font you're using: perhaps you could find a different variant, or another, similar font with a better italic/oblique version?

#8 and #6 are good too, unadventurous but solid. The small illustration on the left of #6 doesn'T quite fit the style for me though. Few comments on some of the others -

#1: The left side looks dangerously reminiscent of a FrontPage default layout! Also, the elliptical element will hinder you if you want to have the text inside it resizable and reflowing to fit a liquid page. Flexible design requires that the main text area of a page be extendable horizontally and vertically. This doesn't mean you're stuck with only rectangles, but an ellipse is very tricky to accommodate.

#2: Such a bright cyan against black could be perceived negatively, with all the dodgy homepages out there using bright primary on black; perhaps a more muted version? The pink of the flowers is an interesting contrast - could perhaps be used as a highlight for other elements in the site too?

#7: I quite like this one too, in a #3 vein, though there could perhaps be a small amount of stronger colour somewhere on the page, for contrast (body text colour maybe)? Also the aspect distortion on the masthead looks a little over-pronounced to me.

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

My likes: I like 10 most, then 3,6,9.

Regards, Rossy

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Is just smoooooooth... I like it.

I've never used Frontpage, and have no idea what a Frontpage design looks like (or an AOL homepage, for that matter.) I'm just experimenting with different designs.

The mention of using decorative fonts, especially in text and links, is correct, and I had intended to change those before submitting the designs to my client.

I have tweaked all of these designs except the blue monster #5.

Dale

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

Which word is mispelt (joke) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] in #3?

And Judi: I have disciplined myself to include everything on every page in a primary table, whether it is needed or not. I'm trying to develop a good habit. I am learning Dreamweaver, but I hand-code everything now, until I am totally comfortable using tables.

By the way, my favorites are #'s 10, 8, 9, 6, 3, 4, and I seem to be the only one who likes #7.

Thanks to everyone! I will make some changes based on some of your suggestions, before I submit these examples to my client.

Take another look when you get a chance, because next week I will eliminate a few of these; adding new ones or reworking the ones that didn't get any votes. Also I will tweak the good ones based on the suggestions of you highly talented people! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Your keen eyes & feedback are enormously helpful! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Dale

[This message was edited by Dale Landry on April 06, 2002 at 10:11.]

#3 - but please correct the spelling mistake.

Christine
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

sorry for the selection! 8's got a nice warm, welcoming feel to it, but still undecided

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

are the ones that I think convey's a nice profesional looking site. Easy on the eyes and I like the layouts.

I esp like #9, I love the icon you have up in the left hand part of the screen [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Hi Dale,

I like all the designs, but none really stick in my mind as THE best. The colours and layout are all pleasing to my eyes.

Soquili
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update