Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Does anyone use Xara X to create titles or effects and import to Premiere or After Effects?

I would very interested to hear from people about what Xara X's capabilities are in the video realm since I know how well it works for me in web & print.

James Kuehn
    http://members.shaw.ca/nenedevelopments
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Does anyone use Xara X to create titles or effects and import to Premiere or After Effects?

I would very interested to hear from people about what Xara X's capabilities are in the video realm since I know how well it works for me in web & print.

James Kuehn
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I imagine it could be very good for that. One great thing is that when you apply complex fills, bevels, shadows, contours, etc. to xara text, the text remains editable. Thus you can achieve the effect you want on one sample and by editing the text on copies you can have consistant versions saying anything you want.

Furthermore, Xara's impressive transparency effects export well as png's w/ alpha transparency. If Premiere and After Effects support png's with alpha I think you've got it made!

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Hi,

I have been using Xara for about 3 years using AE and Premiere. I started using CorelXara 1.5 to make all my still images. I used Corel Draw 7 to generate more complex masks that had to be AI compliant to fit into AE 4.1 and Premiere 5.1. AE and Premiere did not like the EPS that Xara 1.5 generated, specially if it had a complex fill, which Xara handles all too well. However, both products handled the bitmaps out of Xara quite well (just remember your aspect ratio!)

AE 5PB and Premiere 6 are much nicer and are more flexible with Xara's EPS.
    I generated some new masks and AE compliant images using Xara X. Images 1-3 are based on a knockoff the Star Wars Episode 2 Trailers, which use a concentrated blast to show the logo. The images above and below the "Episode III" text are heavily blurred.

The three images, imported seprately, where genereated in X, exported as PNG's with an alpha channel (This allows for masks) at 300 dpi. The hi rez might be overkill, but I can afford the memory hit as long as it looks ultra crisp on screen (I export to a DV tape so I need the rez)

I first genned the effect with EPS's, but they pixelated too much on the edges and banded on the color gradient in the text. (see images 4 and 5)

Hope this helps,

Milt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ep2_images.gif 
Views:	282 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	10683  

Oops, I exported from Xara using 16 colors...silly me.

milt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ep2_images2.gif 
Views:	281 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	5346  

That is what I was hoping to hear. It is a new look how to use Xara for me. I am sure as my questions arise either yourself or someone in the group will be able to answer.

Your posts are very impressive. Looks like you have done lots of testing to get a quality image.

James K
    Calgary, Canada