Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Rope Brush

I have been trying all weekend to create a realistic-looking rope. I wanted to use it as a brush, but I just can't seem to get it right. That coupled with the fact that my additional brush making/saving capability is cripped at the moment, as I keep getting error messages (which I mentioned in another post). I can however open an EXISTING brush file in .xar format and use the brush for just that session, as long as I don't try to add a new brush to the library.

I am making a logo for a co-worker's business, and as part of the logo, I need to make a rope (she has a western theme). Using a rope brush would be the neatest and most efficient way to do it, but the only rope brush I've come across so far is white in color, and I need to use more of a traditional tan/light brown color for the rope. Would anyone happen to have a rope brush that they'd be willing to share?

By the way, I did try making rope pieces (by erasing the background off a bitmap of a rope and cropping the size of it), however, I couldn't seem to get a nice neat look out of it. It looked "ok", but I was hoping for a little better quality.

I also did a search in the archives of this forum and came across this thread:

http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...2663#366191863

In it, Egg created an incredible rope that would be absolutely perfect, and I was hoping there might be a .xar file attached, but didn't see one. Egg, if you read this thread, and you don't mind posting the .xar file for that particular rope brush, I'd REALLY appreciate it. I'm still a newbie to Xara X, and still learning the "ropes"....sorry for the pun. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Thanks,
    Kim

I have been trying all weekend to create a realistic-looking rope. I wanted to use it as a brush, but I just can't seem to get it right. That coupled with the fact that my additional brush making/saving capability is cripped at the moment, as I keep getting error messages (which I mentioned in another post). I can however open an EXISTING brush file in .xar format and use the brush for just that session, as long as I don't try to add a new brush to the library.

I am making a logo for a co-worker's business, and as part of the logo, I need to make a rope (she has a western theme). Using a rope brush would be the neatest and most efficient way to do it, but the only rope brush I've come across so far is white in color, and I need to use more of a traditional tan/light brown color for the rope. Would anyone happen to have a rope brush that they'd be willing to share?

By the way, I did try making rope pieces (by erasing the background off a bitmap of a rope and cropping the size of it), however, I couldn't seem to get a nice neat look out of it. It looked "ok", but I was hoping for a little better quality.

I also did a search in the archives of this forum and came across this thread:

http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...2663#366191863

In it, Egg created an incredible rope that would be absolutely perfect, and I was hoping there might be a .xar file attached, but didn't see one. Egg, if you read this thread, and you don't mind posting the .xar file for that particular rope brush, I'd REALLY appreciate it. I'm still a newbie to Xara X, and still learning the "ropes"....sorry for the pun. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Thanks,
    Kim

Hi Kimi (Kim?)

Try this thread for further tips:

Fly knot?

But it's really not easy to get it all right! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

Thank you. I did find that thread in a search earlier today, but being a newbie with Xara X and needing to complete this project ASAP, I was hoping that someone might have a premade rope .xar brush that they'd be willing to share. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Kim

I attach a file using the rope brush. I hope it works okay for you. Try "save as new" in the bruch window, as I find this doesn't crash my installation of Xara, whereas "save" does. Email me if it doesn't work.
    Egg
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks! I'll give it a try. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Also, thank you for the advice on saving brushes. Getting the errors was making me want to pull my hair out by the roots! *VBG*

Thanks again,
    Kim

The brush was absolutely perfect! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Kim