Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I have designed a single business card, and copied and pasted it 10 times to make one 8.5 X 11 inch sheet. It is only 6.83 KB but it takes 12 minutes to load from computer to printer. Does anyone know why it takes this long? Thank you.

I have designed a single business card, and copied and pasted it 10 times to make one 8.5 X 11 inch sheet. It is only 6.83 KB but it takes 12 minutes to load from computer to printer. Does anyone know why it takes this long? Thank you.

Check the "never smooth" option, and printing will be much faster.
    Epson drivers appear to be affected too much by smoothing, on the opposite,I experienced no delay printing with HP drivers.

Luciano
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	never.gif 
Views:	275 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	15489  

Thank you Luciano. I tried what you suggested. I have an HP Printer but the loading was still just as slow.

Hi Sharone,

Welcome to the forum.

I think the slowness is due to the graphics being translated from vector information into the printer commands need to recreate the image. I use an HP 970Cse printer and it sometimes takes several minutes before it starts printing images.

Soquili
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Why not simply export the image(s) and save them as a Tiff, Bmp, or Jpeg and print them outside of the program. Your card layout should export nicely as a Tiff then print it from, say, Irfanview.

That's what I did with a "bulky" calendar that I created in XaraX. It exported and printed just fine. Actually, I use Irfanview as my default veiwer and it has all sorts of plugins and a fabulous print dialog with LOTS of options, you should check it out. I tend to like to Sharpen up things a bit and throw a bit of Gamma onto certain images. From "monitor-to-printer" it seems to balance any discrepencies in the final print. Looks great.

Just a suggestion.

RAMWolff.
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

(I received this message from Sharone who started this thread. What follows is her message to me followed by John Richardson's response from Xara --Gary)

I am forwarding a reply I received from Xara regarding a slow loading (see my post above). I posted it on the forum but none of the solutions worked. I am grateful to all those who tried to help. But, if anyone else has this problem, I thought you might like to add the solution to your data base for future reference. As you can see, their reply only took a few days.

Thanks so much for all your help.

Sharone

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Thank you for your e-mail query.

Many of the graphical features offered by Xara X are very difficult for printer drivers to interpret (bevels and transparency effects in particular). This is why Xara x offers three methods of printing (via the print options, output dialog): 'normal', 'bitmap' and 'anti-aliased bitmap'. 'Normal' uses the manufactures printer driver to interpret the vector and bitmap shapes, whilst the 'bitmap' and 'anti-aliased bitmap' output options render using the Xara X graphics engine which is then sent to the printer as a readily understood bitmap file. Try the following:

Choose 'File' - 'Print Options'

Choose the 'Output' tab of the dialog that appears

In the 'Print as' areas, choose 'Bitmap' or 'Anti-Aliased bitmap' options (try both as the preferred output is very much a personal preference)

Click on 'Manual' within the 'Transparency resolution' area

Enter the printer's configured resolution in the 'Pixels per inch' field (i.e., 600, 720 etc equating to the dpi settings of your printer)
    Click on OK and then print the file

Do make sure you have at least 100Mb of free drive space on drive C:\ when printing - graphics output results in very large print files. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

John A. Richardson
    Support Sites for Xara products:

(posted by Gary for Sharone)

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<A HREF="http://www.gwpriester.com" TARGET=_blank>
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone