Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Astrolabe

It has been a while since I last posted anything significant in this forum, largely due to lack of inspiration recently. However, I have been working occasionally on a model of an astrolabe, and the recent release of Xara3D6 prompted me to try it out on that.

One of the problems I have been having with this model more than anything else I have worked on, is that both XaraX and Xara3D have been mangling moderately complex vector objects. There are only four objects in the model, largely based on simple circles with lots of short lines subtracted to create graduated scales, and also some text is subtracted. This gives an inscribed look in Xara3D, with a 60 degree bevel.

In XaraX, doing this subtraction can cause the smooth edges of the circles to become a series of short and sometimes not so short straight lines, and the lines marking the scale graduations are often jagged, and not cleanly cut. On top of this, even objects that look OK in XaraX are sometimes severely distorted when imported into Xara3D, with extra lines and gaps appearing. The image I am posting here if I can get it to work with the new forum s/w, is currently a good one, though it is lacking a little detail in places, yet.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small_astrolabe_2_3d.png 
Views:	662 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	17097  

It has been a while since I last posted anything significant in this forum, largely due to lack of inspiration recently. However, I have been working occasionally on a model of an astrolabe, and the recent release of Xara3D6 prompted me to try it out on that.

One of the problems I have been having with this model more than anything else I have worked on, is that both XaraX and Xara3D have been mangling moderately complex vector objects. There are only four objects in the model, largely based on simple circles with lots of short lines subtracted to create graduated scales, and also some text is subtracted. This gives an inscribed look in Xara3D, with a 60 degree bevel.

In XaraX, doing this subtraction can cause the smooth edges of the circles to become a series of short and sometimes not so short straight lines, and the lines marking the scale graduations are often jagged, and not cleanly cut. On top of this, even objects that look OK in XaraX are sometimes severely distorted when imported into Xara3D, with extra lines and gaps appearing. The image I am posting here if I can get it to work with the new forum s/w, is currently a good one, though it is lacking a little detail in places, yet.

Mike

Looks cool to me Mike. Now make it a gold one or a burnished bronze one.

Hi, John.

Hmm, not really tried burnishing, will this do?

Mike

Name:	small_astrolabe_old_brass_3d.png 
Views:	637 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	5103  

Here is a mild example of the sort of unwanted artifact I have been getting. I was adding more detail by subtracting some text from this shape and the resulting shape looks fine in XaraX1, but on pasting it into Xara3D6 (Love this new method!), you can see that some of the smooth curves have been lost. This can also happen within XaraX itself.

Mike

Name:	artifact1.png 
Views:	614 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	6448  

Hi Mike,

did you check the .xar file and see x1 or 2xd added the extra node?

BTW: the burnished one looks a lot better. The 1st one l;ooks too platicy for me.

Very detailed work on the Astrolabe, Mike. I like the second image better. I've had some of the same problems you describe. Sometimes it seems that some extra, hidden points are part of the object; causing spikes in Xara3D. Other times it seems as though some points are missing, causing the flat surface. It has only happened when I slice or subtract in XaraX before importing or pasting the object in Xara3D.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

The only I thing can conclude from this thread is that you guys are absolutely BRILLIANT! Actually, I can conclude something else...you're perfectionists! I wouldn't have noticed the "flaws" if you hadn't pointed them out. BTW....I still don't think they're flaws http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif A very creative lot, you all are!

The astrolabe is as finished as I know how to make it. I've added the missing details, cleaned up the artifacts, and had another go at the burnished metal look. (I don't know if it is brass or bronze! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif ) I also played about with the lighting a bit more, too.

It looks fine to me at the moment, but if anyone can suggest improvements, I'll give them some consideration.

Cheers,

Mike

Name:	astrolabe_3d_wood_bg.png 
Views:	537 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	14631  

Just a close up of some of the detailing.

Mike

Name:	astrolabe_detail.png 
Views:	518 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	8304