Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I now have Painter IX. On older versions, modifications to brush characteristics were stored in a file which became progressively larger as Painter was used, until eventually the speed of function of Painter software was compromised.It was recommended that this file was deleted periodically. Is this still the case with Painter IX? If so what is the file name and where is it to be found. Many thanks
    John
    IP

Could depend on the operating system but try here..

Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Corel\Painter IX

Christine
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365
    IP

Hi John,

Pre-built Brush File is the file name. That file is not used to store user modifications to brush variants. Those are stored in the cached brush variant file, or the file that has the same name as the default brush variant but the cached brush variant file name is preceded by "c_". For instance:

c_Digital Airbrush.xml (cached brush variant file)

Digital Airbrush.xml (default brush variant file)

When we make brush control adjustments to a brush variant, the cached brush variant file is automatically created by Painter 7, Painter 8, or Painter IX to temporarily store all of the brush variant information plus the changes we've made. Then, when we restore the brush variant to its default state, the cached variant file is automatically deleted by Painter 7, Painter 8, or Painter IX and when we choose the brush variant again, it works as it did when Painter 7, Painter 8, or Painter IX was installed.

The Pre-built Brush File is used to store brush information to make brush building faster (Painter has to build the brush before we can use it).

Since the Painter IX Application/Program folders are read only and Painter IX offers multi-user support, all custom settings and custom files are stored in the User folder.

If you're a Windows user, as Christine indicated, the Pre-built Brush File is found in:

Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Corel\Painter IX

If you're a Mac user, it's found in:

/Users/[User Name]/Library/Application Support/Corel/Painter IX/

According to Corel, we should not need to delete this file as, with Painter IX, it has a maximum file size limit of 200 MB then it resets itself to a lower file size automatically.

I agree, though, that depending on your system resources, you may decide to delete it anyway.

As with earlier versions, Painter 7 and Painter 8, no harm is done if you delete the Pre-built Brush File as it's automatically regenerated the next time Painter IX is launched.

After deleting the Pre-built Brush File and launching Painter IX again, you may notice that it takes a little longer to build brushes at first, until you've built them once and that information is again stored in the Pre-built Brush File.
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Christine and Jinny,
    Thanks very much for your replies. It sounds as if I don't need to worry about the pre-built brush file in Painter IX. Jusr as well 'cos i can't find it.
    I looked in Documents & Settings, and could find an Application Data folder only under All Users. This did not have a Corel sub folder in it.In the folder of my own name in Documents & Settings, there was no application data sub folder. I did a search for a file called pre-built brush file, and nothing came up. I assume if I haved used Painter IX at all, it should start building up the pre-built brush file.
    Strange......
    John Fontana
    IP

John,

Some of what's written below is a repeat of my earlier post but I figure it's best to lay things out in one picture to avoid confusion.

Coincidentally, I've been helping another Painter IX user with similar problems (could not find his custom brush category and custom brush variants) for the past couple of days. Today I remembered something he needed to know to see his "missing" folders and files. Here's a copy of a post I wrote to him this afternoon:

It's been so long I'd forgotten that I had to set the Documents and Settings folder to show hidden files and folders.

I'm a WinXP Home user and here's how I did it:

• In Windows Explorer (file manager), I highlighted the Documents and Settings folder.

• At the top of the screen, I opened the Tools menu and chose Folder Options.

• In the Folder Options dialog box, I clicked the View tab.

• In the Advanced Settings window, below "Hidden files and folders", I checked the "Show hiddden files and folders" radio button, then clicked the OK button to close the dialog box.

I don't know how this is done on a Mac (or if it even needs to be done on a Mac) in case you're not a Windows user (but it sounds like you are).

Even if you decide not to worry about the Pre-built Brush File (mine's at 112 MB today... always checking just to be sure), you will need to know where your custom preferences and other custom folders and files are stored by Painter IX.

The Painter IX Application/Program folder(s) and files are read only. All custom preferences and other custom folders and files are stored in the Painter IX User folder.

If you ever have to reset Painter IX to its original state (as installed) by holding down the Shift key while launching, you'll probably first want to back up your custom preferences and other custom folders and files, then restore them to the Painter IX User folder after Painter IX is reset to it's installed state.

This can be necessary if a Painter IX file becomes corrupted, for instance, so it's good to know how to handle things.

Jinny Brown
    IP

Jinny, Thanks once again for your, as ever, exhaustive reply to my query.
    Your suggestion worked a treat and my pre-built brush file now visible!!
    Also good to have sorted the problem for the other reasons you gave, reasons that had not occurred to me.
    I'm a photographer at heart but have become very interested in using Painter alongside Photoshop to produce more painterly effects. If anything, I think Painter represents a steeper learning curve than Photoshop. Now that the Painter upgrade facilitates dual monitor usage as I have set up here at home, I'm all fired up to concentrating a little more time on the more 'artistic' approach
    Thanks once again
    John fontana
    IP

You're welcome, John.

I'm glad you have it all sorted out now.

Happy Painting!
    Jinny Brown
    IP