Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi,

I know its not Christmas but I have been trying to draw an illustration for a flier. I wondered if anyone could give me any ideas of where to go from here? I think I like what I have done but it somehow doesn't look finished.

I'm thinking it needs a candlestick holder but I can't seem to draw anything that looks right. I also tried some fir branches around the bottom of the candle but it also didn't work.

Help, please!

Carol Leather

P.S. I hope the picture attaches properly, I haven't done this before.

Carol Leather
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flier.jpg 
Views:	552 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	16007  
    Carol Leather

Hi,

I know its not Christmas but I have been trying to draw an illustration for a flier. I wondered if anyone could give me any ideas of where to go from here? I think I like what I have done but it somehow doesn't look finished.

I'm thinking it needs a candlestick holder but I can't seem to draw anything that looks right. I also tried some fir branches around the bottom of the candle but it also didn't work.

Help, please!

Carol Leather

P.S. I hope the picture attaches properly, I haven't done this before.

Carol Leather
    Carol Leather

Carol

Are you going to use an inkjet for this? And do lot of copies? Your design will hammer your ink!

You will find useful ideas on the XaraX CD when (not if!) you go for it.

How about changing the textured wallpaper to a Christmassy inspired design - eg vertical stripes with a santa design at intervals. This would kill two birds with one stone.

The lights are not obviously Christmassy - perhaps a chain of paper angels or something like that.

www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your input. Yes these fliers will be output on an inkjet and I hadn't thought of the ink usage!

I have taken your advice and changed the wallpaper. Not to santas as I couldn't draw them but to sprigs of holly (OK until you look too closely). I also took out the lights and will try to do something different up the top.

The wording to go on the right hand side (you can just see a bit of the letter L says:

Don't forget to have plenty of Little Ones in stock this Christmas.

Then underneath the picture it says "You wouldn't want to disappoint anyone, now would you?"

Thanks again for helping me.

Carol Leather

Carol Leather

Name:	flier2.jpg 
Views:	536 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	5799  
    Carol Leather

Carol

Great job. But everything is of equal importance. The candle and Santa letter and the needle work are all about the same size and the same importance. Since the letter to Santa is probably the first thing people should read, I would try to make it more important. One way to do this is to make everything else darker, as if lit by the candle and have the letter a golden yellow color lit from the candle.

You are off to a great start however. And doing is the best way of learning.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

<a href="http://www.xaraxone.com">
    The Xara Xone </a>

Thanks for the comments Gary. I can see what you mean by the three items fighting for attention. To this end I have increased the size of the letter and changed the lighting effect.

I like it on the screen but when it prints out is looks a bit murky.

Carol Leather

Name:	flier3.jpg 
Views:	489 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	20051  
    Carol Leather

but it will hammer the printer too!

Perhaps have a white base but try making the less important things paler and bluer, the more important ones brighter and 'hotter' - with reds and oranges.

Another thought; what is this advert selling? What is the text? I am having the support of a business coach/mentor at the moment, and one of my homeworks is writing better adverts. One lesson is AIDA - Attention, Interest, Desire, Action - your advert needs these four in that sequence. Your artwork needs to support what you want the attention for. I guess this is something to do with patterns or threads. What is the need in your customers you are trying to grab?! Perhaps to find an unusual gift.

www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    Simon
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

The product being advertised is a mini embroidery kit that we manufacture and sell to needlework and gift shops. Amongst the range are 25 Christmas designs.

The aim of the advert is to try to encourage the shop owners to think ahead and order in plenty of time rather than leaving it to the last minute. Last year we had a really quiet period and then it got really manic! This time we hope to spread it out a bit more evenly.

Some of our forward thinking customers are already beginning to order their Christmas stock without an advert so the timing is right.

The idea behind the ad is the "Dear Santa" letter from a youngster asking for more kits. The message to the shop keeper is "don't let them down by running out".

This project is supposed to be going out in the post this week so the pressure isn't helping my VERY limited experience with the program.

Hope this explains what I am trying to do a bit further and thanks for the help.

Carol Leather
    Carol Leather

...like you need to bring some attention back to the completed stitchery.

dafipp

The Santa is clipart, as is the scroll.

For the text, use the text tool. Then Arrange/Convert to Editable Shapes, then Mould tool.

www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Name:	santa.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	6945  
    Simon
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk