Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thought I'd try and see how these things work. I placed several groups in a directory, and Xara X showed them in their categories. I thought they might need to be in separate directories. I see that Photoshop has the same extension. Before destroying something, I though I'd ask just exactly what is compatible for filter use. I have several applications that I am sure have filters of some type. What would I be looking for? Rich

Thought I'd try and see how these things work. I placed several groups in a directory, and Xara X showed them in their categories. I thought they might need to be in separate directories. I see that Photoshop has the same extension. Before destroying something, I though I'd ask just exactly what is compatible for filter use. I have several applications that I am sure have filters of some type. What would I be looking for? Rich

that do not require a specific pixel selection work fine in Xara. Filters that requires a mask or a magic wand pixel selection don't work because Xara has no way of selecting or masking individual pixels.

You do not need to have all your filters in the same directory. You can add as many paths as you want and Xara will find them. The downside is it takes a bit of time when opening Xara while Xara loads all the plug-in info.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

I set a path to the Photoshop 6 filters, but they never appeared. It looked like Xara was reading them. Maybe the wrong flavor. I'll save the magic wand and crystal ball for making engineering decisions. Best method for that so far. Rich

I tried several things like copying the plugin.dll to the Windows/System directory, but that didn't work. I actually didn't fine any pulgins from any of my applications that woould work. No problem, I went to the applications and expirmented with what was available. Some were great, and some must be there to say there a lot of them as far as I could tell. Lots of similar actions. My favorite was a brick texture in Corel 10. It seemed very flexible. I made a texture with AB shell. Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lillys.jpg 
Views:	394 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	7873  

you're looking for files with suffix "8bf". But if you meant something else, sorry to give you this

Jon
    Jon

Since PS had that extension, I had thought these might be a compatible type. It appears that there is something particular to the PS filters, and they only work in PS. I have been reading about plug-ins, and saw the mention of converting the files. Other applications have other extensions for the same types of filters. It must be that each developer makes these filters unique to their application. I am still not sure what would be needed to have a filter activate. In the interim, I thought I would try some and see if they were worth the effort. I have several applications that can manipulate the images already, and this was just me wondering how things work. I wanted to use what I already had, and not add anything additional. Rich

Rich,

You are right in that the standard PS filters do not work in other programs.

There are a variety of free plugins available on the net that do work with Xara, some in the Xarazone shareware section and you could try the pluginsite.com or cybia.co.uk

Christine
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

you need the file msvcrt10.dll to get all filters to work. Browse the Microsoft site and download it from there or download it from here:
    http://www.sacalobra.de/samples/msvcrt10.dll

size is 210.994

and place it in your XARA X folder.

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

This dll is in my windows\system directory. I'll make a copy, and place it in the Xara folder. Rich