Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

You nailed it... It's about Graphics and Art.

Not Rikki Lake or Springer...

But someone brought up "Civil War?"

"CIVIL WAR," GUNS 'N' ROSES. Damn Good Song! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

In all my different activities I meet different persons from different countries and with different backgrounds. I have found this forum is a splendid place to learn how to respect all differences!

Very friendly to all!

ivan

I never ever reject a good old-fashioned quality s-word-s duel. Just it must be decent, funny and opponents must respect each other. Have you ever heard of famous Monkey Island swords duels? ;-))

I'm proud to say I've never ever used a bloody smiley icon here. Do you guys want to see Jens and Frank and me becomy kindly, wishy-washy, Captain Kangaroos? Why be so afraid of some harsh words now and then? "Sticks and stones can break your bones, but words can never hurt you." These forums are staggeringly constructive, informative and entertaining - which is why ***I*** keep returning. So don't throttle the feeling of "energy" we have here by carping too much on bloody niceness-etiquettte!

K
    www.pixpush.com/x-art
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

I just don't know. I use smiley faces with my posts and still I get accussed of being annoying and turned into Gary. There are people who will be offended by anything you type. Just breathing is annoying to them.

I don't agree. Humans are fragile, word can hurt exactly as much as weapon.

Dmagician,

"I don't agree. Humans are fragile, word can hurt exactly as much as weapon."

You're using words metaphorically, not literally - psychological "hurt" is NOT in the same category as physical "hurt". If I shout at you: "You're an ugly, despicable creep, who's life is not worth a cent!!!" - you are free to walk away and ignore me for the rest of your life. But if I take an ax and wack off your leg, you are NOT free to walk away - and my actions will effect you for the rest of your life.

THAT is the difference captured by that "sticks & stones" saying.

And it is a CRUCIAL difference in human life: among other things, the use or non-use of physical force is what defines the line of demarcation for the infringement of individual rights (but that's politics, and I've promised to not lecture on that here!).

K
    K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Earlier I had posted some thoughts about this forum - perhaps they are the words Gary refers to above. I think the comments are appropriate to this thread so I'll repost:

"We are all individuals. By that I mean we are all different from one another. Coming from vastly different backgrounds and different cultures we do not all share a single point of view. Even if we all tried really hard we can't be 'politically correct' because it damned unlikely any of us are cosmopolitain enough to know what is politically correct in the near global context in which these forums operate. In the absence of political correctness we have to accept (and hopefully encourage) that fellow forum participants will speak up when they are concerned about an 'insensitivity' they perceive. Their speaking up can be educating for all of us.

Anytime someone advises another that they think they have been insensitive, it can be perceived by the recipient as a personal attack. Nobody wants to be insensitive and being accused of it can hurt. I know we all would have or own ways of dealing with such situations. I think in the context of a forum (about graphics) that the most appropriate response is to acknowledge the viewpoint, say 'sorry - no offense was intended', and if you have to - agree to disagree. Hopefully then discussion can move forward and stay reasonably on topic. Rarely in my experience is a counter offensive necessary or desirable.

These forums aren't a very effective place to conduct an arguement - so why start one. I know in many newsgroups some people try to create arguments to liven things up. Here at the talkgraphics.com forums I find discussion is usually lively enough for my taste without any arguements. If anything the arguements 'bum' out many observers to the arguement - it greatly lessens the appeal of participating.

Although I wish there weren't 'arguements' I do hope there is active criticsm. We all can learn from the comments of others. Fair comments - whether positive or negative - are a very valuable tool in our development as artists/illustrators. Unfortunaty, many of us have big egos that sometimes get bruised by what are objectively fair comments. The bruised sometimes feel they have to defend their work against comments they perceive as unfair. Fine. They should. Now if someone feels their work is constantly under attack, I think they need to step back and try to look at things as objectively as they can. If your threads are full of you defending yourself against attacks like "I think it might look better with a lighter background" then smack yourself in the head hard and get your ego under control!

IMHO most forum participants post images because they want some feedback. They enjoy the confirmation when others enjoy the work, and they genuinely appreciate feedback that might help them improve. I believe 99.9% of the comments made about peoples work here is intended to be confirming or helpful. In that regard I think we are doing pretty well. I know some people read things into other's posts. I say "forget it!" - take all posts at face value and you'll be much happier. Sure, some people (not many) play games at times - don't get suckered! Take all posts at face value and avoid looking for inuindo that might not be (and probably isn't) really there. Don't worry - Be happy!"

Regards, Ross

PS - any comments regarding the level of moderator 'moderation' would be appreciated. Should we for instance be shutting down more threads as they become nasty?

rgremill,

"There are people who will be offended by anything you type. Just breathing is annoying to them."

How true! And it's WRONG to spend one's time frenetically trying to second-guess what will or will not "hurt" some unknown neurotic out there. Speak your mind clearly and briefly - and the rest be damned.

K
    K

Anyone into wips and leather? no smiley face.