Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: '3D' blends

I'm sure Gary -or someone-has probably covered this but a couple of recent threads (geometric brush and folds on fabric) brought to mind an old experimental images.
    Its just a couple of blends to curve. By adjusting the blend paramters you can produce some interesting moire effects.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blends.gif 
Views:	687 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	4688  

I'm sure Gary -or someone-has probably covered this but a couple of recent threads (geometric brush and folds on fabric) brought to mind an old experimental images.
    Its just a couple of blends to curve. By adjusting the blend paramters you can produce some interesting moire effects.

...or perhaps something a litle more exotic.

Name:	blend2.jpg 
Views:	603 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	5273  

Frank,

convert to editable shapes, ungroup (Ctrl+U), select all (Ctrl+A) and add a wall shadow only slightly nudged. Then group again. You will be very surprised about the 3D effect! That's what I use to give a third dimension to brushes objects.

And continue to search!

ivan

Nope, I haven't covered it Frank, but it sure looks cool. One more thing to distract me from my current project [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Early So Humble...

Wizaerd Guest

This 'effect' interests me, but how do you get all the edges aligned? I guess I need a bit more of a step by step...

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Earlier I had posted the image below. I had used the blend approach Big Frank illustrates to create a mesh-like grid. Using convert to editable shapes followed by the group-lines/add-shapes/break-shapes technique It was possible to "capture" the shapes out of the blended mesh.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Name:	xaraflag.jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	5823  

Ok, I create two lines - then blend between them.

Then I create a line at the top and a line at the bottom and blen them. Giving the attached.

But I can't figure out the next step. Can't splice the loose ends? Tried various ungroups etc.

Any tips?

Turan [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Turan,

There may be an easier way than this to get rid of your loose ends but here's what I've done to make it work.

The trick is to use a copy of the curved lines with little extensions added to them in conjunction with the slice operation to trim away the unwanted portions of your blended horizontal lines.

Make a clone of one of your curved lines and set it to the side for later use. Now blend your curved lines.

Make your horizontal lines wider than the curved blend so that when they are blended the entire set of curved lines fits comfortabley within the blended horizontal lines. The horizontal lines should extend beyond the curved lines on both sides.

Next, take the curved line you set aside and with the shape editor tool add small straight line segments to both ends to make it longer. In doing this you haven't changed the shape of the curve, you have merely extended it to make it useful as a trimming tool. Now clone this augmented curved line. You now have a slicing tool to trim the excess off your horizontal lines.

Take one of the trimming lines and place it on top of the left edge of your curved blend. Make sure it is the top item and properly aligned with the curved line. With this slicing line still selected additionally select the straight horizontal blend (which should be under the slicing line) and perform a slice operation. Then select the trimmed portion of the horizontal blend that you want to get rid of and delete it. Take the second copy of the slicing line you made and repeat on the right side.

In trimming the right side, the portion of the horizontal blend you want to delete will be automatically selected and you can just delete. This is not true when trimming the left side.

Voila. Everything s nice and neat.

Hope this helps.

Brian

Sorry people I 've been away from the machine for some time and haven't kept up wth this
    This is a step by step
    1. create curved line (line A1)
    2. make *two* clones (lines A2 and A3)
    3. set one aside for later use (A2)
    4. move the other clone to a suitable distance and blend with original (A1 and A3 = blend A)
    ------
    5. draw another curved line at about 45 deg. to the first (line B1)
    6. make *two* clones (lines B2 and B3)
    7. set one aside for later use (line B2)
    8. move the clone and blend (B1 and B3 = blend B)
    ------
    You'll now have two set of curved line blends and two spare lines.
    Now for the old Xara magic
    -----
    9.Select both blend A and the spare *B* line (B2) (click shift-click)
    10.Click on the blend tool - on the icon bar look for the blend to curve icon - click it.
    Voila
    11. Now repeat for blend B and the spare A line

Probably as clear as mud but have a go.

BTW this is *little* Frank