Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have a gif I would like to use as a background, but to save it as a gif just puts a rectangle up. I have looked and looked for the right button, bitmap gallery, etc, but just can't seem to get the procedure......Think I'll save some time and ask you guys....

O, saw the fish coral background, quite involved and maybe not necessary for my little project, but maybe so too.

Ain't life a kick?

I have a gif I would like to use as a background, but to save it as a gif just puts a rectangle up. I have looked and looked for the right button, bitmap gallery, etc, but just can't seem to get the procedure......Think I'll save some time and ask you guys....

O, saw the fish coral background, quite involved and maybe not necessary for my little project, but maybe so too.

Ain't life a kick?

Background for a webpage?
    Place a tag in the "body" portion that looks like this : It will tile by default.

Background for your doc in Xara X?

Use the bitmap (or gif) you spoke of by first bringing it into the document thereby establishing a copy in the bitmap gallery, then go to the bitmap gallery, click on it once to choose it then click on the back ground button.

Or is this not what you meant?

Wayne

[This message was edited by ivca2 on June 14, 2001 at 10:30.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	backgroundX.gif 
Views:	390 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	3915  

Well, yes, I have the background referred to correctly in the web page index, but I think I need to save it transparent (it is showing as a pic and not as a background).

Anyway, I was thinking there is another way to save a background (so it will show up as a sliver, unless it is actually uploaded, then it explodes as a background). I thought this was a useful way of doing it because of size.

Then, yes again, I couldn't get it saved in the bitmap galley. OK, Back to the drawing board. I'll let you know.

I found a plugin from flaming pear. As soon as I figure out how (and where)to plug the blinkin' thing in, I'll try that too. (Tesselation)

Thanks

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Ain't life a kick?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>it is showing as a pic and not as a background<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some confusion here?

Backgrounds are pics! They have to be designed/saved/exported exactly as you want them to appear, and don't mysteriously get paler or shed bytes just because you call them 'backgrounds'.

Hope this helps!

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

Delta,

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> then it explodes as a background <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Again, you must specify it in the HTML code of your page for it to "explode" or TILE. There's no need to create a huge tiled image, and place it on your page. Unless you're using layers on your webpage, you can't place text over the image that way. But that's another story.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I have the background referred to correctly in the web page index <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I sincerely think not, otherwise it would tile as you'd like it too. Sure, the image must be uploaded to the directory where the page can find it, but it won't tile without the code.
    Please follow this link and view the simple code in the document by clicking - View/Source (for IE) and View/Page Source for Netscape. Copy and paste it in your editor (notepad or other), and replace the words "tile.jpg" below. Remember to type the correct extension of the file eg: .jpg or .gif.
    Hope this helps.

Here's the tile I used. Cover your eyes [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Whoa I guess cover your eyes. Well, to prove a point (that I know how to code in a background)
    here is the background that works

http://www.deltamoon.addr.com/whtstarbak.htm
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    You'll notice that here the entire screen is covered with the image (I suppose tiled), see, no white border

And here is the background that doesn't work
    http://www.deltamoon.addr.com/grnstarbak.htm
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
    Same background (just with the stars colored green), same coding (only part I changed was the name of the gif), but apparently not tiled.

So, I dunno, maybe I have to go back to the fish and coral tutorial (very well done by the way) and work out the tiling sequence? (thanks guy)

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Ain't life a kick?

Hi again Delta

Your 'grnstar.gif' has a transparent border which is causing the problem!

Did you create it in Xara? If so, re-export only the image part of it and not the extra box around it.

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Delta Moon - thanks for your last post. It really clarifies your problem. That said I'm sorry I don't know the answer to it. At first I said to myself "that's easy, she has inadvertantly added a white border to the image when she exported it". I was then suprised when I imported the background tile into xara and discovered no border. Still curious I decided to check out your html source code and again I was surprised. Surprised to see the coding of the two pages is the same except for the different gif.

This is very peculiar. Perhaps if we can't help you here you should post the example pages at TalkGraphics.com's site design and publishing forum. Maybe they'll have some ideas as to what is happening.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

AHHHHHHHH! Peter's-da-man!! His post just slid in before mine. When I imported the image into xara I didn't observe the transparent border - because it is invisible! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Good work Peter! Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>