Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I can't imagine how many posts I have seen where people are trying to convert Xara (.xar) files to either illustrator or photoshop or some other format. Many of the answers require that they use another graphics software to accomplish the conversion and I am guessing that the person asking the question probably doesn't have the software or the expertise to do the conversion.

So, here's my thought. Is there anyone that would be interested in starting a little business converting xara (.xar) files to the format that the person or their print service needs?

Needless to say, I would expect that they would have to pay for the file conversion. A person probably won't get rich, but it may be kind of fun and challenging.

I can't imagine how many posts I have seen where people are trying to convert Xara (.xar) files to either illustrator or photoshop or some other format. Many of the answers require that they use another graphics software to accomplish the conversion and I am guessing that the person asking the question probably doesn't have the software or the expertise to do the conversion.

So, here's my thought. Is there anyone that would be interested in starting a little business converting xara (.xar) files to the format that the person or their print service needs?

Needless to say, I would expect that they would have to pay for the file conversion. A person probably won't get rich, but it may be kind of fun and challenging.

On Earth for A Little While / With Christ for Eternity

But you will have to ask me later. I havn't learned this aspect of Xara yet.

Your first on my list as a business partner. We will make Millions. I'm sure of it! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif

wALDO

Xara Print Guru .......................next year
    ----------- _~o
    ----------- '\<,, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep
    ><>____(_)/ (_) - in order to gain that which he cannot loose." JE

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

I really don't understand why you want to 'convert' Xara files for another illustration app. Either you master Xara and value its features, or you abandon it and switch to Illustrator, Freehand, RealDraw etc.

I don't need anything else. I **do** print everything directly from Xara, or I export it as a Xara X *.eps and place it in Pagemaker if I **really** need a layout software. That's it. And if anything else fails, there is the fabulous TIF format...

So what's your point?

If I would prefer high velocities, I'd purchase a Ferrari. But I'm driving a 4wheel monster truck because it's fulfills my needs better. For the same reason I use Xara - for illustraitons, brochures - you name it. If you think Xara doesn't meet your needs, go ahead and switch, but please don't complain or ask for conversions. IMHO none of the other packages can do anything that might match the Xara X features.

Last week we've been working on setting up theme boards for a customer, using the fantastic color options (child or shade of another color etc) to generate new color schemes just by dragging the color slider. No other software does offer this great feature! My brother spent days to accomplish this task with other apps and he didn't reach his goal, but with Xara we've finished the task in 3 hours...

We've generated TIFFs and EPS from our Xara files, and now the team is working with these great results.

But maybe you prefer a more complicated, 'industry standard' and 'want-to-be-professional' way to approach the task, because you don't know the real value of Xara X?

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jens g.r. benthien: ...I really don't understand why you want to 'convert' Xara files for another illustration app. Either you master Xara and value its features, or you abandon it and switch to Illustrator, Freehand, RealDraw etc....
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

==================================================

Yes, I shall agree with you, Jens. At us in Russia speak: if you don't like it — so don't eat it!
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Xander

I do all my work in Xara (except for the 3D stuff). So I do always wonder why people ask for conversions.

If I start in Xara I finish in Xara. To the point were, if I do a drawing in a 3D app for a poster, the output of the 3D app usually ends up in Xara for the labeling etc.

Turan

Your missing the point. I'm a Xara nut. Have been since Korel actually marketed Xara. That's when I found this program. Never used draw again till now. Never had too.

My point is, one shouldn't have to export to get seperations! Xara should do this. No work arounds should be needed in other programs period. Xara should do the job - "The whole job & nuthin but the job". If it isn't this way then there is a problem, call it a Xara bug, I do.
    As anyone who uses Xara or any other program/media knows, workarounds are a part of life. Adapt or be left behind. That's the way it is in our industry & life in general. As a professional illustrator & PC graphics guy, it didn't take long to figure this one out.

Xara is what it is. I'm hoping it will be more. It should be! In the mean time I'll do what I have to do to get more folks using this program & spreading the gospel regardless of my personal issues with it.

Ww

XPG-maybe next week....
    ----------- _~o

Would like to clarify one thing. I am NOT interested in being the person that would convert xara files for others.

I just threw this out as an idea of a service that "someone else" may want to provide.

If everything can be done in xara, then I don't understand all the posts that take place on how to create a suitable file for printing. Many people that use xara are NOT graphic design experts. They use xara because it is a great vector graphics software, but also because it is very "user friendly and fairly inexpensive.

But, when they create something that they want to get printed they run into road block because the print service they go to has never heard of xara.

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

... a reason why you want to make color separations with Xara X. If you want to print 4c colors, you can print to any RIP which will do the rest. That's it. Period. There is no app in this world that can beat a RIP.

If the RIP of your printing co can't handle the output, they should update the RIP.

See what I mean?

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Jen & everyone else...

I don't think I've made myself clear. The problem is with spot colors illustrations relative to seperations.
    If I do a spot color drawing with blends, linear fills, glass effects, shadows & bevels. Send it out to the printer as seperations, I loose most of my drawing. I'm not talking about CMYK seps but Spot seps. Xara can not do this. It's a Bug. If you can draw with it, one should be able to print with it as well.

Perhaps I could be missing something. You mentioned ripping. Is this relative to spot or CMYK? In Xara or 3rd party software?
    Where I work now we provide in-house t-shirt(clothes) designs (art) & prints. Graphics output direct to a high quality lazer printer on vellum. From there it is burned onto screens for printing on multi-print presses. They can hold up to 11 screens per design.

I think though that we are both correct. I could be missing something though. If I'm incorrect please feel free to set me straight as I am willing to learn. I want Xara to be the main vector tool here, not Draw & Illustrator, as is currently the situation.

Till next time

Ww

Xara Color Spot Seperation Guru - one step closer!
    ----------- _~o