Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm toying around with another idea, in the same area as my last question. One of the biggest complaints that my image got was that the pattern was too random, so this time I'm playing around with a different pattern.

This pattern was generated from a lot of duplicates grouped together. (See image)

The problem I'm having is that when I intersect the square and the pattern, I end up with the square's outline as well. Is there a way to get around this? I'd rather not have to trace the pattern with the line tool.

The intersection tool also has anti-aliased the edges of any patterns I've tried before, leading to a white border around the final bitmap, and giving more of a tiled appearance than seamless.

Any help is appreciated.
    Lothaekor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	problem.gif 
Views:	430 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	1320  

I'm toying around with another idea, in the same area as my last question. One of the biggest complaints that my image got was that the pattern was too random, so this time I'm playing around with a different pattern.

This pattern was generated from a lot of duplicates grouped together. (See image)

The problem I'm having is that when I intersect the square and the pattern, I end up with the square's outline as well. Is there a way to get around this? I'd rather not have to trace the pattern with the line tool.

The intersection tool also has anti-aliased the edges of any patterns I've tried before, leading to a white border around the final bitmap, and giving more of a tiled appearance than seamless.

Any help is appreciated.
    Lothaekor

Try setting your default grid to appropriate intervals (using pixels as your default unit). Turn snap to-grid ON and grab one corner of you rectangular group (zoomed in) and drag it until it snaps to a grid point. You may also want to check to see if the other 3 corners fall on grid points (if not then stretch until they do). This may help anti-aliasing since your vertical and horizontal line will not fall "between" whole pixel units.

Set your view quality down one notch, this may make a difference in how the line art is rendered on the screen and, thus, how its exported.

Can you use GIF rather than JPG format ... Gifs tend to be better for line art?

or background or.......???

Why not just group them and remove the box??? or set the boxes line width to '0'?? It would still be there but no line width would render it invisible. Then try your intersection. HMMM> Just reread it, Why not take a square shape and after grouping your design place the square on top of it and then 'select all' Arrange/Combine Shapes/Slice (cut) Shapes?? Wouldn't that remove the white border??

Good luck

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Hi Lothaekor

If the grouped shapes you are intersecting have individual lines around them, then when you slice them the 'sliced' edges will remain with lines whether the overlapping square has an outline or not.

If you are using the grouped shapes to create a bitmap copy to use as a tiled fill etc, then there is a workaround.

This is to place your 'intersecting' square at the back and select only the square and export that. Then everything above it will automatically export too but without adding lines to the edges. Oh I've just discovered that you actually have to go to 'file' menu and 'export' rather than create a bitmap copy. As create bitmap copy, when you select the square at the back, just gives you a copy of the square, even when there is something above it.

If you are not using this as a bitmap fill then I'm not sure what a workaround would be ... have to have a think about it.

Regards

Su
    "If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life." - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Hi,

From what i gather, you want to use your pattern as a bitmap tiled fill and you want it seamless. At the moment, I don't think there's any other way to go other than using a copy of a trimmed bitmap copy. In other words - check the diagram below :-}

The reason for the extra copy is that you can't used the trimmed copy as it is because it is essentially the same as the original bitmap copy. You need to make yet another of your newly trimmed bitmap, to append it to the bitmap gallery.

Good Luck, Wayne

Name:	patterns.gif 
Views:	402 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	18035  

I tried Su's suggestion, and it worked perfectly!

Thanks, Su! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

Su,

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Oh I've just discovered that you actually have to go to 'file' menu and 'export' rather than create a bitmap copy. As create bitmap copy, when you select the square at the back, just gives you a copy of the square, even when there is something above it.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you sure about that. I tried it and it works. I went to the arrange menu to creat bitmap copy as apposed to "right clicking" for obvious reasons. I'd end up choosing the pattern instead if I had. Nevertheless, your way eliminates the last step of trimming the bitmap copy (in my method). It won't work for transparent PNG fills though.

Wayne

Aha!

Wayne I've just gone back and checked what you said ... and you are right.

When I originally posted, I quickly checked the alternative option of 'create bitmap copy' as I usually use 'file menu - export', it did just give me a copy of the square at the back with nothing overlaid.

However, this was because my default 'create bitmap copy' is set to 'true colour + alpha'. But when you pick any colour settings below this (ie true colour alone or 256 colours) then you do indeed get the copy of the grouped shapes that are above. So in actual fact it happens both ways.

So thanks for pointing that out Wayne. You can use the back square export only 'slicing' method with 'create bitmap copy' but you have to have the alpha 'turned off'.

I was in a bit of a hurry and also pretty tired when I posted, but I thought this may be a good workaround and wanted to let Lothaekor know, guess you shouldn't rush things. Very sorry about that.

Dale - you're welcome. I use this method quite a bit when I don't want to actually slice images.

Wayne - Yes if you export a solid back square to get everything above it you will get a solid bitmap exported.

To get a transparent bitmap fill? Hmmm .. you could use clipview I suppose. So instead of exporting the back square you can give it a 100% transparency and then clipview it with the grouped shapes.

Have a look at the attached file for more info.

Regards

Su

Name:	Transp-Fill.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	19810  
    "If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life." - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

I tried Su's suggestion and it worked just the way I need...

Thanks!