Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

has happened to my copy of Xara. Can somebody please help me, I use Xara constantly in my work. This morning I started it up and cannot select anything or any tool. I just get the 'hand' tool no matter what I do. Have I accidently changed some setting?
    Can somebody please help me?? I am fairly desperate, it would be much appreciated especially as I am not at all "techy" minded in computer terms, I just use the programs.
    I have uninstalled and re-installed Xara(WIN2K OS)but it hasn't made any difference.
    J.

[This message was edited by wyccaad on October 07, 2003 at 20:46.]

has happened to my copy of Xara. Can somebody please help me, I use Xara constantly in my work. This morning I started it up and cannot select anything or any tool. I just get the 'hand' tool no matter what I do. Have I accidently changed some setting?
    Can somebody please help me?? I am fairly desperate, it would be much appreciated especially as I am not at all "techy" minded in computer terms, I just use the programs.
    I have uninstalled and re-installed Xara(WIN2K OS)but it hasn't made any difference.
    J.

[This message was edited by wyccaad on October 07, 2003 at 20:46.]

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

nope, didn't happen to me - not yet. Pretty strange what you are mentioning here.

Did you install something the day before the desaster? If so, try to uninstall it. Some weird apps install a different dll into your OS, which might corrupt the system in certain parts.

Since you are no techie, I think you didn't hamper with the folder settings, so I could imagine there might be a fault on your hard drive in this sector. To recover from this, you might try to uninstall XARA, delete the Xara folder in the c:\program files\ folder completely, perform a disk defragmentation, (start -> programs -> accessories -> system tools -> disk defragmenter), run a disk check (double click my computer on the desktop, right click the drive c:\ -> properties -> tools -> error checking -> put a checkmark into both boxes [your system will have to reboot for this option]) and re-install Xara.

If this will **not** help, I really don't know what happened to your system.

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Have you tried it as another user? Might be a profile thing. Stranger things have happened.

+++""You can fool some of the people all the time.
    You can fool all the people some of the time.
    But you can't fool all the people all the time."
    --Abraham Lincoln. ++++++++
    "If you can do good, you should."
    W.K. Clark

Thank you both for your reply. In the meantime, I downloaded the 2.2 patch. Still didn't fix it. The third time I rebooted my computer, all was well again.
    However, If this happens again I will definately try your suggestions.
    Thanks again.
    J http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif