Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Playing with creating my own brushes, I have discovered an inconsistency (least I think it is) and have attached an example that demonstrates this.

Very simple - brush 1 was created from a circle filled with a 'diamond' fill (with a slight twist). Brush 2 was created from a circle filled with a 'three colour' fill.

Puzzle is - why the different end effects? The elements of a line drawn using brush 1 replicate the original object along the line as expected, but when using brush 2 the overall outline of the line just gets filled as one object.

Both brushes and their demo lines were carefully created exactly the same way.

Can anyone explain why the 2 brushes perform in these differing ways?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	demo.gif 
Views:	279 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	4172  
    Alan

Playing with creating my own brushes, I have discovered an inconsistency (least I think it is) and have attached an example that demonstrates this.

Very simple - brush 1 was created from a circle filled with a 'diamond' fill (with a slight twist). Brush 2 was created from a circle filled with a 'three colour' fill.

Puzzle is - why the different end effects? The elements of a line drawn using brush 1 replicate the original object along the line as expected, but when using brush 2 the overall outline of the line just gets filled as one object.

Both brushes and their demo lines were carefully created exactly the same way.

Can anyone explain why the 2 brushes perform in these differing ways?
    Alan

Hello Alan,

You need to uncheck the tile fills box on the Fills tab - the 3 colour fill is actually bitmap fill generated by Xara.

Have fun with your brushes.

Christine
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

Thank you Christine.

Just a small piece of simple information - yet again, and as you can see below, all's well with this new brush. Experimentation continues from here...

Only slight puzzle, how did you KNOW 'three colour' was a bitmap as opposed to whatever the other colour fills are? Have I missed something?, or are we to bow to your superior experience, gleaned over the years from hard won lessons? I know learning a package such as XaraX is part reading the docs and part discovering by hard graft and experimentation.

Many thanks for your help, now I know ONE more digit of info on this wonderful program.

Alan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	demo.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	5.3 KB 
ID:	9709  
    Alan