Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello,
    I just upgraded to Windows 2000 Pro and I am getting this error when I launch Xara. I can close it and move on without it seeming to hurt anything but it is still annoying. Has anyone elso gotten this error and does anyone know how to fix it?

Sincerely,

John[img]null[/img]
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hello,
    I just upgraded to Windows 2000 Pro and I am getting this error when I launch Xara. I can close it and move on without it seeming to hurt anything but it is still annoying. Has anyone elso gotten this error and does anyone know how to fix it?

Sincerely,

John[img]null[/img]

Sorry,
    I didn't want to make the image too large but I didn't think about not being able to read it.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	errorpost2000.gif 
Views:	344 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	13448  

Did you upgrade and install over your previous OS? I'd be inclined to install clean on a formatted drive ... I tend to think fewer problems will occur. Have you tried uninstalling XaraX and reinstalling.

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com http://www.dkingdesign.com/stuff/signature.jpg

Oh by the way ... a funny note , when I saw your post here, I tried clicking that error message as I thought it was mine. I didn't read it at first and just automatically clicked the OK. For a split second I thought "Oh no my computer if frozen" hehe. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com http://www.dkingdesign.com/stuff/signature.jpg

I agree with D. King; the best way to install Windows 2000 Pro is to do a clean install. I tried to look up that message "unmapslfixarray" and it seems that more people had it, but none with Xara X. I do get the impression after reading a story here and there, that it could have something to do with old 16 bit software/drivers and yes, if you upgrade from a 16/32 bit OS system you drag pieces of 16 bit software with you to the new OS.

It looks like there is something wrong with your kernel32.dll My kernel32.dll on my Windows 2k SP2 machine has version 5.00.2195.4272. You should check out your version too (properties of file). Also, did you install SP2, because with service pack 2 comes a new kernel32.dll.
    If you need a kernel32.dll file, I'm always happy to send you a copy (it's only 700+ Kbyte).

Xara X should work perfectly on Windows 2000. I never had one crash and I know that there are more people in this forum who use it with win2k without a problem.

'7' and '13', two of my lucky numbers [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] (I was born on the 13th at 7:00 AM, lucky for ME!!)

I agree with David and Gaussian on this issue. I also tried to do an upgrade from Win98SE to Win2000 Professional and it was OK for awhile but I started to get all kinds of weird stuff happening, one was PhotoPaint crashing after start up.

So I burned backup disks of My Documents, settings, e-mail, address books, cookies and any other personal files that I did not want to loose (about 4 disks total, art work takes up lots of space, I use .tiff for much of my exporting for print work) then I did a clean install.

I chose the Fat32 fILE format option because I have 2 other "drives" and I wanted to 'see' them and work from them.

It was time consuming, but it was worth the hassle in the end. Took about 2 days here and there to get everything back to normal. But I'm glad I did it!!!

Upgrades I tend to avoid. If they are selling a product upgrade that needs to have the lower version still there I opt for the full version. If they are offering a full version at an upgrade price then I will get that one. Usually not the case with allot of software companies.

Good luck [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by RAMWolff on May 15, 2002 at 10:20.]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

I would never do an upgrade install either.

If your BIOS supports booting from CDRom (most probably press Del when your PC is booting to enter setup), everything becomes very easy.

First you set to boot from diskette, and enter your Win2K bootdiskette. With FDISK you delete all logical stations, the extended partition and the primary one.
    Then you press Esc twice to get out of FDISK and reboot with Ctrl+Alt+Del.
    Now you press Del to enter setup and change to boot from CDRom. Enter your Win2K CD and leave BIOS with save changes.
    Win2K starts and asks you what partition you want and whether you prefer it to be FAT32 or NTFS. The latter gives more security options, but the former you can still side-enter with DOS in case of trouble.

Good luck. And don't forget to backup your e-mail and Favourites like I did...

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

http://www.photoshopgurus.info/forum...ine=1019851685

I always save my Fonts file from Windows, because I worked hard to get a good selection of fonts, and it is a pain in the butt to put them all back that way after a clean install. (I have all my fonts in zip files saved on a CD in case I forget to do this.)

I always save not only Favorites from Windows, but my Opera and Netscape bookmarks.

I learned the hard way to save all of my
    goofing-around Xara files. (And Photoshop files, too.)

The worst experience for me is trying to reinstall the driver for my RCA cable modem. I really pull out my hair on this one! Windows has a problem reading it off the CD.

And by the way, I tried installing Win2000 Pro this last winter, replacing Win 98, and I was unable to get the installation to work, even after doing it several times! I got all of the updated drivers, and think that I did everything correctly, but could not prevent it from crashing and crashing and crashing. I spent a good deal of time researching Win2000 installation before installing, so I thought I had all my ducks in a row. I know this experience is not the norm. After a week of frustration I put Win98 back on, and have been happy with it except for the normal Win98 problems.

Has anyone had a similar experience with Win2000?

http://www.eyesitewebdesign.com/dale.gif

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

I'll second D. Kings recommendation of reinstalling Xara X.

I think the message you are getting is indicating that Xara X is trying to use some functions that are only available on Windows 9x. This probably means that your install of Xara X is set up for Windows 9x and a reinstall should fix that.