Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hello,

This is my first post so I apologise now. I have just taken delivery of my new graphics tablet, bought the Xara x1 software online and downloaded the trial verison whilst I wait in eager anticipation for the full version to arrive in the post. But alas, everytime I try to setup the trial version I get an error message. I have made sure I am typing in the correct password etc but to no avail. Can someone tell me where I am going wrong before my head explodes. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/eek.gif. Many thanks in anticipation....

Hello,

This is my first post so I apologise now. I have just taken delivery of my new graphics tablet, bought the Xara x1 software online and downloaded the trial verison whilst I wait in eager anticipation for the full version to arrive in the post. But alas, everytime I try to setup the trial version I get an error message. I have made sure I am typing in the correct password etc but to no avail. Can someone tell me where I am going wrong before my head explodes. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/eek.gif. Many thanks in anticipation....

Try downloading Xara x1 again from the Xara website. It's possible that the program you downloaded initally was somehow corrupted. - AF

Hello AF,

Well I did what you suggested and that didn't work. I'm getting frustrated now as first of all the tablet didn't work and I had to update the driver....they don't tell you all this. Now, after buying xara x1 I can't use the trial version. Also, I tied the support section on xara and that won't even load ? So any more help would be great. I am running Windows XP SP2, Norton secuirty, Ad-Aware, spybot, spywareblaster and cyberscrub. I say all that in case these programmes may be causing the problem. Hope someone can help.... http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

Hi Ballpoint,

What error are you getting? Is it anything to do with not being able to access the internet? When the setup program runs, it needs to access the internet so some external components can be downloaded and installed. With Windows XP SP2, the Windows Firewall would stop this from happening unless you grant access. If Norton Security is also providing firewall service, then that will also block a program from accessing the internet without your express permission. If Norton security is your antivirus, you may want to temporarily disable it before running the setup program. Sometimes antivirus can prevent programs from installing correctly.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

temporarily turn off Norton secuirty, Ad-Aware, spybot, spywareblaster and cyberscrub. Then install Xara.
    If it does not work then you have a problem.
    ok

Hello Soquili and Sunland,

Thanks very much for your help I really need it. Right, I disabled Norton internet security (only) and then tried the set-up again. It worked but everytime I close down the Xara application or do something like change 'tools' I get an error message which says;
    Access Violation exception at offset 0x00404E26. This happens everytime and obviously it's a problem. It's quite a minefield all these obstacles, not to mention the fact that Firefox doesn't seem to like the talkgraphics website and that I learning how to draw with xara looks very daunting.

Ballpoint,

Have you disabled the Windows Firewall and using the Norton Security for protection? I recommend following Sunland's suggestion, disable all the programs he mentioned. Do an uninstall of Xara, reboot the PC. Make sure the programs are still disabled. Install Xara, make a test drawing to see if the error occurs. If all is well then restart those programs.

Windows XP with the programs you have running can be very unfriendly to install programs, no only Xara, but any manufacturers. Unless you stay connected to the internet at all times, I would recommend not running most of those until just before you go on-line and during your on-line time.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hello Soquili. Well, I was up to 3 AM this morning... I disabled Norton completely, disabled spywareblaster but had problems with the others. I'm really not sure how they can be disabled without uninstalling them completely. I don't know if this is correct but unlike the Norton and spywareblaster they are only 'active' when you run them ? Anyway, I downloaded Xara trial again loaded it but still got the error message. So, frustrated at this point, I went to the FAQ section of Xara and looked on there. I downloaded their diagnostic check software, ran it and got an OK !!! Now, I know this is only the trial version, but I'm really concerned that when I get the full version I'll have the same problems so I want to fix it now. Meantime I have emailed Xara support and told them my situation and await their response. If you have any further suggestion I would be most grateful. I have tried searches on Google but have so far been unsuccesful. Somewhere there seems to be a compatability problem....

Hi Ballpoint,

When you uninstall X1, delete the registry entires for xara also. Then reboot and reinstall. I have seen some people have to do this with bad installs/corrupted files.