Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Beth Mohler:

The Xara effects are actually vector and will remain that way until exported or converted within the program to bitmap. Whether or not they get translated to poscript well is another matter.
    [QUOTE END]

Hey Beth! I am always thinks that XX effects are bitmaps even in Xara (PNG files as I remember). Xara have amazing engine to redraw it after resizing etc. Or not? http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

===============
    alexander

email

ALBO Design
    Lead designer,
    MichelMour LLC

Hey Alex

I guess I should have been more clear. There are some bitmap effects you can do in xara that work similar to photoshop filters. But I rarely if ever use them cuz I think photoshop does a better job. ALthough maybe XX does a better job than Xara 2 (just got XX).

So I guess, anything that you can zoom and zoom and still see nice sharp lines (no pixelation)...that is a vector. Anything that you can go in with the mouse tool and move around nodes etc...that is vector. Transparency, gardients...they are all based on math and hence vector. Fractals are too but they are rendered and not completely sure how these translate. Kind of a vector/bitmap cross dresser.

Bitmaps are resolution dependent. Meaning that as you zoom in, you will see the little squares. If you make them larger and larger, the squares become more and more evident.Vectors are independent of resolotion and will look good no matter how much you zoom in or stretch them.

To do a test: draw a line drawn with the sponge brush tool and then export it as an eps or ai file. Open that file in Adobe illustrator..you will see a bunch of little boxes with solid fills (that were once the sponge fills). You can even manipulate the little boxes by change shape, size or colour. Thus they are vector.

I know it is kind of strange to think of these things as vector. Especially since you can control how things render with in Xara.

Very useful answer, Beth!

Actually I have several serious claims to Xara's export functions. First of all it is an EPS export, especially to spot colors and to mixing of RGB and CMYK colors. I like Corel's find/replace function very much and I will want to see it in Xara too. I think Xara is a great tool, I like it so much. And I bet all there wanted more accuracy from Xara... If we are all here put together our claims and wishes to Xara and (it is much more important) Xara's guys make next step in developing... It'll be great. I can't understand why they are in Xara ltd still keep the silence.

===============
    alexander

email

ALBO Design
    Lead designer,
    MichelMour LLC

Agree with you there Alex.

The eps export filter is not really that great. (only version 7 AI). But it is WAY better than in previous releases.

Probably only 2 things that really iritate me in Xara...how it handles colours in the colour palette and its inane keyboard shortcuts. Shift F7 for zoom is nuts. YOu would have to have hands the size of an apes to use that.

I love the program though. Absolutely wonderful transparency and fractal tools. The new brush tools are awesome too. I just wish I had more time to do stuff in it. (but I bet I would use it more in production work if it had better keyboard shortcuts and colour handling and eps export)

My name is Beth and Im a keyboard aholic!