Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I just downloaded the Xara X1 program for personal use, and while a lot of it is familiar from Xara X, I am having trouble with the gradient tool. According to the instructions, I am supposed to:

1. Select the filled object (see Selecting objects).

2. In the Fill Tool click PROFILE. This opens the PROFILE DIALOG BOX.

3. You either select a predefined profile from the drop-down list or drag the sliders to create a custom profile. The top option in the drop-down list (the straight line) creates a linear transition between the start and end of the fill.

Where the heck is the profile dialog box!? I cannot find it, it does not come up when I click on any tool, and it is annoying the heck out of me!

Thanks,
    Jenny

I just downloaded the Xara X1 program for personal use, and while a lot of it is familiar from Xara X, I am having trouble with the gradient tool. According to the instructions, I am supposed to:

1. Select the filled object (see Selecting objects).

2. In the Fill Tool click PROFILE. This opens the PROFILE DIALOG BOX.

3. You either select a predefined profile from the drop-down list or drag the sliders to create a custom profile. The top option in the drop-down list (the straight line) creates a linear transition between the start and end of the fill.

Where the heck is the profile dialog box!? I cannot find it, it does not come up when I click on any tool, and it is annoying the heck out of me!

Thanks,
    Jenny

I think this is what they are referring to
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara-fill.jpg 
Views:	364 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	6600  
    "If you can do good, you should."
    W.K. Clark

i think this is what you are looking for

Name:	profile.png 
Views:	387 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	8852  
    Mike
    see my photoblog http://kcmcomp.com

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

"I think this is what they are referring to " - Grant

Ummm.. Grant,

I think this is what they are referring to...

Dang Mike... you snuck that one in on me. As soon as I posted, yours was there, but not when I started... Congrats...

Name:	2upload.jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	11101  
    John/DOT

You're getting very slow in your old age John http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

"You're getting very slow in your old age John " - Egg

Eh? What did You Say? I am blind in both ears you know.
    John/DOT

Ok, I'm really frustrated now. I cannot get that bar to appear within the program. I have gone through the window > bars/control bars and utilities options, and no luck pulling it up. how do I get it on the screen?

-Jenny
    Attached Files Attached Files

Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

The Profile option is only availible for Linar, Circular, Eliptical, Conical and Diamond, and only then if they are using 2 colors.

But it should still show on your bar when the fill tool is active but grayed out.

One other possible reason you can't see it is maybe you are using large buttons. I couldn't see the feathering profile when I was using large buttons. Window/Control Bars, under the list of bars, there is the option to resize the buttons.

Name:	Control_Bars.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	11360  

Jennifer, those bars look really messed up to me. Unless you really want them in that arrangement I'd suggested resetting them back to the starting arrangement. Your InfoBar seems to be missing, which is the most important bar of all of them. Each tool changes the Infobar to provide the controls required to operate that tool (and that's where the profile control is for the fill tool). You can reset the bars using the Reset button in the Control Bars dialog (Window menu) shown in Judi's post above.