Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

When printers started to be interested in computers, they still worked with their own units like pica etc.
    Now the computer designers changed the value of one pica a little so that it became exactly 1/6th of an inch.
    And as one pica is divided into 12 points, there are 6x12=72 points in one inch. So they made their monitors in such a way that one picture unit (pixel) represented one point, and from there the mixing up of points per inch, pixels per inch etc etc: in the beginning there was no visual difference.

In fact this should be somewhere on an thread of a few weeks ago, but as far as I remember it was quite long, so I posted this as a new topic.

If you don't work against time, time often works for you.

When printers started to be interested in computers, they still worked with their own units like pica etc.
    Now the computer designers changed the value of one pica a little so that it became exactly 1/6th of an inch.
    And as one pica is divided into 12 points, there are 6x12=72 points in one inch. So they made their monitors in such a way that one picture unit (pixel) represented one point, and from there the mixing up of points per inch, pixels per inch etc etc: in the beginning there was no visual difference.

In fact this should be somewhere on an thread of a few weeks ago, but as far as I remember it was quite long, so I posted this as a new topic.

If you don't work against time, time often works for you.

Eric, I made this 72 point point in that DPI thread, though you've elaborated it a bit!

K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

Can't keep my attention fixed for threads that go on for pages and pages.
    But I don't mind you being the first and the best. Why should I? I consider myself the eternal beginner and have often thought that you would be a perfect match for Oscar Wilde in your outspokenness and vocabulary.

So: all the honour is yours. Have fun with it.

Thanks - Eric, LOL! I LOVE Oscar Wilde! (But please don't interpret that the wrong way. It just isn't done.)

K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")