Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Origami

Someone asked me if would create a 3d version of their origami paper-art. They needed a printable image that could be used on the cover of their packaged origami paper (as an example of what the instructions inside will guide you to create). Well, he still hasn't given me a peice of the original origami paper (for me to scan and use as a texture), so the model I have is plain. However, it is physically accurate to the very millimeter (all segments, except for the diagnols are exactly 1 inch long, the diagnols being the square root of 2, inches long).

Anyhow, I thought I'd post it to see what you thought. The tips got a bit washed out by my area lights, I should probably tone the lights down just slightly. I'm not familar with origami, so if this type of object has a name, I'd be glad to hear what it was. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	origami_rotate2_sm(128).gif 
Views:	278 
Size:	183.0 KB 
ID:	19392  

Someone asked me if would create a 3d version of their origami paper-art. They needed a printable image that could be used on the cover of their packaged origami paper (as an example of what the instructions inside will guide you to create). Well, he still hasn't given me a peice of the original origami paper (for me to scan and use as a texture), so the model I have is plain. However, it is physically accurate to the very millimeter (all segments, except for the diagnols are exactly 1 inch long, the diagnols being the square root of 2, inches long).

Anyhow, I thought I'd post it to see what you thought. The tips got a bit washed out by my area lights, I should probably tone the lights down just slightly. I'm not familar with origami, so if this type of object has a name, I'd be glad to hear what it was. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Now that's what I call cool!!!>

Ron Pfister
    http://www.imaginationmagic.com

Ditto on the cool.

Stu.

Great job! Now do a bird and animate him, that would be cool!

It sounds like this will become a regular thing. They send me a finished piece of origami, I create it in 3d for them to use on a print. So who knows, maybe I'll get a chance to create a bird! =)

Btw, the image was rendered in LightWave, after NewTek just released their 6.5 b-patch. I swear, I wish every company (I won't mention Corel's name) had as high of standards as NewTek. If anyone here uses LightWave 6.0 or 6.5, I'd highly recommned you go download the free b-patch. Besides fixing some bugs, it adds some nice features (some that I used in the image above) and improves rendering speed for all Intel Pentium-class processors (PII, PIII, and especially P4).