Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I never had any problems with Win2K. My Ethernet card and soundcard were recognised without having to install a driver. The more difficult one was the Wacom driver because I had to restart with the original CD (USB and driver) before I could install the latest update.
    One point though: at one moment, some trial app I installed must have changed a file. This resulted in the New Hardware Wizard freaking out with my scanner and tablet. Luckily I found in the logbook (This Computer>Manage) that it was the hydcap.sys file that was changed. I could copy it to my HDD and rename it to .sys as on the CD ist is .SY. Anyway, I managed to getvthings going again and re-installed both scanner and Wacom drivers.
    The app? It hit the shortest road to nothingness...

http://www.photoshopgurus.info/forum...ine=1019851685

Erik explained very well how you should start all over. There are only a few things I want to add. In general it's advisable to make two partitions; one program partition and one data partition. There is a possibility that you could run out of space on either one, but Partition Magic (bootdisk) does a nice job in resizing them. Make sure that you have the latest version 7, because that one works for XP too.
    Why two partitions? If you have one program partition, you are able to make a copy on a CD-R with programs like Ghost or Drive Image. In the event that things are messed up, you only need to restore the backup. It is important though, that you create a program partition, where every program is pointing to user data on that partition. A couple of things that are of interest; you can change the store folder of Outlook express and point it to the data partition. There are some registry settings that change the locations of your address book, but it’s also possible to export it.With the help of a TweakUI utility you can change the location of the favorites and “my documents” folder as many other ones. I created my recover CD by first installing the plain operating system, added the latest service pack and without installing any new software, I started configuring the system; internet, outlook express, screen settings, desktop, video, downloaded latest patches etc. After that I created one backup on CD-R. In my case I did that by copying the partition to a compressed file on the data partition with Ghost 2002. After that I installed the burner software and burnt the file on CD #1. Then I installed the most necessary software, like Photoshop, MS Office, Xara X of course, ACDSee etc. and created CD#2. I worked with that configuration for a week or so to see if I had a stable environment and after that I installed the more delicate software like a virus scanner and firewall and created CD#3.

This approach has many positive aspects;

1. For a backup, you only need to backup the data directory
    2. Any restore of the program partition will not damage your data or the application settings pointing at it.
    3. You can make your own choice whether you want to use FAT32 or NTFS on each partition.
    4. It’s the best way to create a very stable environment
    5. The largest fragmentation will occur in most cases on the data partition.
    6. In case of a failing hard drive, virus attack or a messed up operating system, it’s an easy and fast way to recover your original system.

One other tip; create a shortcut on your desktop that points to a document that will contain all kind of modifications that you plan to make for your next recovery CD.

After any recovery you will always need to recover some data yourself, like newly installed programs, virus updates, operating system patches etc, but I never saw that as a real problem.

But be aware, you still need to have a good backup for your data partition!

Just some thoughts of how you could approach your problem. Good luck John. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Thanks everbody for the replies. A few months ago I had to do a clean install. It was a real bummer because I have so much software on my machine. I know, I am lazy. Plus I probablly don't use some of the software that I have but anyway. The reason for the clean install was that my mouse cursor would bounce back and fourth like it was on crack and my start menu would jump up and down. I couldn't figure it out. So I started formatting and installing. Then I looked at my drawing pad and noticed that the wireless mouse that came with it was sitting on top of the pad and was fighting with my other mouse. But it was too late. I had already started the install. One of those things where you kick you self in the #%@ after you realize what you have done.

Anyway to address some of your suggestions. I upgraded because I didn't want to go through the re-installation of my software. I also tried to re-install Xara but still got the same error. I am going to uninstall it again and then run Norton System works and remove all of the things from the registry, if there is something still there. I didn't know there was a SP2 so I will look into that. I probablly should just let my son have this machine and go buy a new one. It is getting time for that anyway.

I appreciate all of your help. I will say it again like I tell everybody that this site has the nicest most helpfull people. It is a great resource and I only wish that I had the knowledge that you have and that I could offer more to the forum.

Thank you very much,
    John Furr
    St. Louis Missouri

O.K. This is driving me crazy. I guess I should just give in and do a clean install of win 2k vs. upgrading like I did. I still am getting the same error. Unless anyone elso has a suggestion? I un-installed Xara and used Norton System works to help remove anything that had to do with Xara from the registry. Then I went through the registry myself and looked through the hole thing and didn't find the word Xara or any componenet associated with Xara. Then I installed Xara again with the patch. Oh yeah, I also installed the win2k sp2. Nothing has worked yet. Anyway again thanks for the help.

John Furr

SUMMARY
    The MapSL, MapLS, UnMapLS pointer translation routines are used in Windows 95 and Windows 98 Device Driver Kit sample code. However, these are not documented functions. This article provides the documentation for these routines that Windows 9x display driver developers need.

Link to article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q195310

Looks like it is leftover from Win98.

Ich bin ein New Yorker
    "If you can do good, you should."
    W.K. Clark

and probably other 'left overs' from Win98 too.

I kept trying to be "honest" about what I had on my hard drive. Gateway sold me my computer with Win98SE and I am just to stupidly honest and convinced myself if I just upgraded to Win2000 instead of fresh install Win98 was still there and so if I needed help I wouldn't feel guity about it. I know it sounds lame but that was my reasoning. After all the crashes and problems after the upgrade compared to the fresh install.....no comparrison what so ever!!

Personally, I would go ahead and do the clean install. Sometimes it's just a downward battle!! I have a friend that will stay up untill all hours trying to fix things and sometimes he realizes that just to re-install the program or some how start over, from the point of where it all started and then proceeding is the answer. Ego always gets in the way with this kind of stuff and I am just as much a victim of it as anyone else. So now I try to reason it out. and if it looks like the "easy way out" (some geeks would say that) is the way then I go for it, haven't regretted it so far [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---