Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: question for the XARA developers

Quote Originally Posted by jens g.r. benthien View Post
    Hello XARA Team!

I am desperately trying to import DXF files into XARA X - do you intend to integrate such a filter in the future?

This is quoted from a post in 2001! I might add that the lack of dwg/dxf import/export capability in our favorite program is a great, if not the greatest, shortcoming.

We often hear the cry for more robust vector tools within Xtreme Pro.....well the tools are out there. Basic CAD programs such as DesignCAD/DoubleCAD[free version] have all the vector tools you would ever need......you just can not utilize a productive workflow 'between' programs. WMF, not an option; PFD, close...but no cigar!

For my interests, DWG/DXF "imports/exports" "from/to" XPro would not only expand it's client base, but will finally add some meaning to the word "Pro" Xtreme adds to it's name [and price tag].

Minstrel
    ...the best is yet to come!

Hi Minstrel, this as you point out has been a long standing wish of many users but in fairness to the developers I'm sure that if it could have been done, it would have been done. I don't think I've seen any other software with as many import/export filters than XXP. Although dwg/dfx files look and feel like vector drawings I think there's a big gulf between them. As you state pdf export/import just about works but the editability is wanting. I'm no expert re cad programs but I think you have to accept that they're different beasts than vector programs.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg, thanks for the response....

...sort of figured I was shooting for the stars.....but, then again, why not? Maybe the next version will have some long-overdue surprises and/or offer new solutions to 'bridge the gap' between the CAD world.

Minstrel
    ...the best is yet to come!

I would get far more serious with Xara if it had the dwg or dxf import. Corel, AI and Canvas all can, Canvas (IMO) is by far the best for importing such but it comes with its issues also.
    I work in GIS CAD and Graphics.
    I accept your comment Egg that its difficult, BUT its obviously not impossible.
    I wonder how many users Xara is missing out on by simply not offering.
    I rarely use the countless file types available in all my programs but would be lost without the dwg import in the Graphics area.

Maybe the developers would comment here.
    regards
    Richard

Lack of dwg or dxf compatibiity is a serious flaw in Xara.

It is afterall a vector program, and dxf is probaby the most important vector format.

This means that this would seriously improve the functionality of Xara and enlarge the userbase. At the very least think of all those designers who work up their designs in CAD programs but then need to rework them for presentation.

Quote Originally Posted by lxln View Post
    ...dxf is probaby the most important vector format.
    Hi lxln, and welcome to the forum.

I have to ask, "most important to whom?" I've never used dwg/dxf. I don't even know anyone who does. That's not to say that these formats aren't very important to a particular category of users and might represent a larger market for Xtreme.

It's always worth adding your voice to the choir. In the meantime, I hope you find other value in this excellent software.

Allison

Quote Originally Posted by amoore View Post
    "most important to whom?"
    Well, people having projects involving int/ext design, engineering, mechanical or architecture may encounter these flavors once in a while. (rendering, presenting projects, etc)

But yes "most" is a big word :-)

Regards,

Marc

I haven't used DXF in many, many years, not since I used to play with 3D apps. So it's completely irrelevant to me. I guess that's not really what anybody wanted to hear, is it? I'll leave now.

*doffs cap*

Bye

*whooooooosh gone*
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Dwg and dxf are typically AutoCad or Generic Cad files.

From Wikipedia:
    "AutoCAD DXF (Drawing Interchange Format, or Drawing Exchange Format) is a CAD data file format developed by Autodesk [citation needed] for enabling data interoperability between AutoCAD and other programs. DXF was originally introduced in December 1982 as part of AutoCAD 1.0, and was intended to provide an exact representation of the data in the AutoCAD native file format, DWG (Drawing), for which Autodesk for many years did not publish specifications. Because of this, correct imports of DXF files have been difficult"
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I seem to recall you can import dxf/dwg into open office and then save [pdf?] from there to import into xtreme - but I have not tried it, because I don't need it either...

a search here might bring something up....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...