Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hello,
    About a month ago I asked for some advice on a website that I was working on for a buddy of mine. I applied the ideas that I recieved and am now done. Well, I haven't recieved some of the content from my buddy but we are working on getting that. Someone wanted to see the finished product and I can't remember who so I am going to post the link. Thanks for all of the help.

John Furrwww.gwvac.com

Hello,
    About a month ago I asked for some advice on a website that I was working on for a buddy of mine. I applied the ideas that I recieved and am now done. Well, I haven't recieved some of the content from my buddy but we are working on getting that. Someone wanted to see the finished product and I can't remember who so I am going to post the link. Thanks for all of the help.

John Furrwww.gwvac.com

It's certainly quite striking, John!

Two simple questions:

1. Is absolutely all the text content going to be part of the graphics?
    2. Shouldn't 'manufactures' be 'manufacturers'?

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

Sorry, one more question:

Why the overall table width of 818 (counting the r3c1.jpg and shim.gif)? Wouldn't a little under 800 have been better for a fixed width site?

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

PS You don't need border="0" for an image unless it's a hyperlink.

PPS Complete lack of alt text and table summaries means complete lack of accessibility for some users, specially since the site's 100% graphics!

[This message was edited by Peter Duggan on October 22, 2001 at 00:31.]

The camera-man is looking quite sharp (as a bitmap I mean [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] ) while the camera and the video-card are more blurred. Perhaps you could try sharpening them a bit.

I can live with a big logo on the main-page, but I would decrease the size of it on the other pages so it won't "push down" the contents so much (now you have to scroll down, no matter how little text you have on the page)

-Paul
    Paul the Gnurfmeister!
    Home: http://www.gnurf.net/v3/ | My stuff for sale: http://www.zazzle.com/gnurf* | Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pasoderholm

The body of the main text could do with proof reading - "Adcess" and "contanct" are immediately suspect...

Chris

Link does not seem to work right now?

Turan

The sites looking great, although I agree with Paul, if it were viewed on a 800 x 600 monitor most of the screen is taken up by the header, whilst the nav bar and content have to be scrolled into. I would also suggest that as the background remains almost unchanged that you make the image the backgound image, then it's only required to load once, then it's cached on the visitors computer, and loads far quicker on subsequent pages. It's also screaming out for rollover menus. Remember search engines use the text content to search and record a site. All you text is part of an image and therefore can't be searched.
    As an example of what I mean visit. The graphics aren't as sharp as your of course due to being taken from a screen grab.
    Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thank you for all of your input. I really appreciate it. I initially did this site as a trade for a wireless microphone and light kit for some video work my company does. He backed out of part of the deal and won't cough up the light kit so I didn't go through the trouble of making rollovers and alt text for the images. I hate not perfecting my work but I don't have the time to do this without payment. Plus I have lost the will to continue with the project until the original agreement is met. One thing that kind of baffles me is the white border at the top of the page. Is there a settin in XARA that controls this? As far as the spelling, I am a terrible speller. I admit it and am dealing with it. I have been in theropy for this problem Ha Ha. Again, thanks for all of the input. This site is great for getting an honest critique.

John Furr

I expect the white border is due to the shim.gif in the table Xara created. The shim is a 1pix x 1pix transparent gif. The easiest way to check thhis out would be to alter the page background colour to say red, and see if you get a red border. Thats another reason I prefer to use the graphic as a background graphic if it's going to be common across several pages, as it does away with this border.
    Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host