Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Use any XaraX o CorelXara draw.
    Open Xara3D.
    Instead of import the .Xar file, just Open it from the File menu, and change the file type to .xar or .web

This should work for you.

Saludos,
    Juan [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Does your import window look like this when you select the drop down list arrow (highlighted)?
    Egg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3d_import.gif 
Views:	387 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	9469  
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Everyone,

I'm attaching a .xar file that refuses to import into Xara3D, in the hopes that someone can explain what is the cause of the failure.

Thanks for your help.

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi Soquili
    I removed the iris from the eye, the part that you had a brush for. I deleted that from the file. Then it would import as a circle into Xara 3D. ? I can't explain any more. Maybe it has something to do with the iris brush ?
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the info, I have another version of the eye with the iris that imports fine. The only difference I know between the two files is that the "white" is an ellipse in the file that imports correctly and in the one that doesn't it has been converted to editable shape.

Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Yes Egg you got it, but i hope that you have the solution for it.
    as you see from the attachement file that the import file does not include (xar,web,wmf,emf)

Name:	import_error.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	606  

I don't know why your import filter is incomplete. I've been to Xara's site which states

"Xara .WEB or .XAR files produced by CorelXARA or Xara Webster.
    Installing from the CD automatically installs the Xara file importer. The importer is not included in the download version to keep the download size small. You can download it separately."

I suggest if you have the CD that you reinstall it and see if these solves the fault.

If you don't have the CD you reinstall the download. (Unfortunately the link in the above page is broken & I've reported it to Xara)

Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Soquili

It's definetly the iris that wont import. I think its got a bitmap fill. If you copy the Iris and paste it onto another page and then save it, it wont import into Xara 3D

There's not much point in trying to import such a complex shape into Xara3D anyway as X3D seems to add all shapes together to get a single shape. Your eyeball's a circle, so just import a circle then apply a bitmap copy of your eyeball as a texture to this circle.

Egg

Name:	eyeball_ani.gif 
Views:	317 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	3807  
    Egg

Hi Egg,

Thanks, the iris does have a bitmap fill, crated from several blends with transparencies. Funny that the original drawing imports fine into Xara3D, but the copy pasted into a new drawing doesn't. Oh well, I was trying to track down a cause as to why a couple of my .xar files wouldn't import into X3D. I think the other file also has a complex object pasted, I'll check it out when I get home.

Thanks again.

Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hola Juan

This is probably too late. But do you want to bring a shape into Xara 3D or a drawing?

Xara 3D can import a shape but not a drawing that contains colors. Shapes come into Xara 3D as one color.

But as so many have correctly pointed out, you can create a black and white shape, then create a color drawing, which you can use as a "decal" in Xara 3D as explained in the tutorial Soquili mentioned.

Also, if the shape you are trying to import into Xara 3D has a rectangle or other shape behind it, all you will see is the larger shape. This happens because all shapes come into Xara 3D on one flat layer.

Does this make sense?

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Early So Humble...