Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Actually, to be honest, I was inspired by Ross's Music thread, then inspired by Carol Channing's "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend" from Broadway, Nothing to do with stereotypes! I am not one for that kind of stuff, so if it was percieved that way I apologize! But I was really just going for a big diamond with nice lighting and flary qualities, and the title is well known and thought it fit well! I really am kinda dissapointed however that my title was more catchy than the image, I would like to here your artistic views all other views aside! But I really do hope that is was meant as a joke, as that is what I percieved it as at first, then I just got a different vibe!
    Thanks to all for the compliments, I appreciate it soo much. I'm glad you like it!

Steve Newpor
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

No offense taken at all and I hope the same for you, but the reference to me as being less knowledgeable than any other person because I'm young is a stereotype of it's own

Steve Newport

[This message was edited by Steve Newport on July 30, 2001 at 22:43.]
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Just dispensing the stereotype I adopted after a lot of observation: You just spend so much time on your words eumphemisication. Everything must be politically correct. I think this will end in a very junky communication full of weak words having no connotations at all. Stop that please. You spend too much on your words. And hero in the movie can speak crystal bright pollitically correct American english and still he pronounces vulgar words all the time. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by Dmagician on July 31, 2001 at 02:53.]

good to have you back. I have n't gone through all your images in the gallery my speed is too slow. Maybe you could make thumbnail views of the whole lot.......a well cut diamond..tao

This is not an argument at all, and I hope no one turns it into one, just expressing my point, and I thought I made it very clear that I was as sincere as possible. But it is true, Americans sometimes get a little too cocky about there "freedom" in some regards (even me!). Sometimes we just like to overdue things, but it's hard to notice when everyone around you is American too! I don't see anything wrong with saying diamonds are a girls best friend because there expensive, shiny, very attractive stones that even I wouldn't mind getting my hands on! The fact that someone would get offended over something like that is stunning! If someone said Dogs were Man's best friend, I would think nothing of it even though technically a friend from school is my best friend! Anyhoo, no offense intended, just trying to clear up what I've already said so this doesn't turn into a bad thing like those past two threads.
    So Deb, thanks for your opinion, I'm glad you let it out so I know what to watch for in the future. I love you all, thanks for the compliments, bye [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Tao, the gallery is just for my Art teacher, I'll be taking it down (if possible) once she takes a gander at it. Once(if?) I get a site up and running I'll have every piece that's there and more. It is a huge thread, and even with a cable connection it takes a while. Thanks for your interest. I would have had it on some [free] site, but the images wouldn't load [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] so I came here! C-ya later

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

No offense taken at all and I hope the same for you, but the reference to me as being less knowledgeable than any other person because I'm young is a stereotype of it's own

You're 15 I understand. I don't think of you as "less knowledgable" for most 40 year old guys wouldn't know that a lot of women don't think of marriage as their best friend. I think of you, rather, as more forgivable than most 40 year old guys who don't know that a lot of women don't think of marriage as their best friend, because they should know. Comprendez vous?

But how can you interprete diamond as marriage? I agree that diamnods and crystals aren'tt girl's best friends, but giving it as a present, it can be regarded as a good choice anytime, even for married woman.

Roman

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I'm a 40 year old guy. I find the reference to marriage interesting. I never equated Channing's song "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend" with "Marriage is a Girl's Best Friend" but given that the diamond is hyped as a symbol of lasting marriage I can see where the reference came from. I however suspect Channing just wanted big shiny rocks. I find it interesting how a object can be so charged with symbolism. The DeBeers people have done a good job on marketing. (I did not bow to the pressure - I've never given my wife a diamond. I've heard it said you should spend minimum 3 months salary on diamond purchases. To my way of thinking that makes the diamond a symbol of how stupidly wasteful some people can be).

Steve your big shiny rock looks good. Your atmospheric effects look good too although I'm seeing a lot of banding in the jpg. Many big shiny rocks have names: this one could be the Newport Diamond. That sounds classy...

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Thanks for all the input, it is always helpful. The Banding might be from the blend used to make the spot[light]. Although it looks fine in xara, the jpeg might have saw a chance to work it's evil and did! Maybe just a little more in the blend (although I have around 65 already!). Thanks again

Steve Newport

[This message was edited by Steve Newport on August 03, 2001 at 09:20.]
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-