Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hello,

On my picture when I cut the shadow, parts of my picture also go with it. Seems they are linked somehow.

How can I just delete my shadow without the other picture objects?

Cheers,

Bod.

Hello,

On my picture when I cut the shadow, parts of my picture also go with it. Seems they are linked somehow.

How can I just delete my shadow without the other picture objects?

Cheers,

Bod.

Select your shadowed object. Click on the Shadow Tool (or Ctrl+F2). Choose the 'No Shadow' button on the far left of the Shadow Toolbar. This will clear the shadow from that object.
    -- Bob

Hello Bod

Welcome to the Xara X Conference.

You are correct. The shadow is linked directly to the object casting the shadow.

If you convert the shadow group to editable shapes (Arrange > Convert to Editable Shapes) then ungroup, the shadow will become a separate object. A bitmap in fact.

The shadow tool creates what is known as a live effect. That is an effect that can be modified at any time. For example, a shadow can be moved, made sharper, fuzzier, changed from wall to floor, etc. Even after you have saved a file and reopened it at a later time.

When you convert any of Xara's live effects (Bevel, rectangle, contour, etc.) to editable shapes, then the effect is no longer live and you can edit the individual objects. But in the example of the shadow, you can no longer edit the shadow with the Shadow Tool.

That make sense?

Gary