Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: what next

It's great to sort of brainstorm on projects with others---all the different perspectives and knowledge added can really help one improve things. Your suggestion made me go digging for some photos so I could further find out what to try, and it really helped me a lot. We don't have any wolves here locally and I needed references obviously! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Thanks a lot!!!
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

but your email address wont except from hotmail. is there another way i can send you an email?
    email is crazysagedancer@hotmail.com

the add....and it should work with the _NOSPAM_ removed.
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

I have several pieces of wolf art in my home.

My mom "got into" wolves-as-art several years ago, and I caught the bug! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Oddly, I have never painted a wolf. I am more of a cat person, and painted some domestic and big cats years ago. I used pastels, oils, and many other media back then, though now I'm strictly an acrylics-and-colored-pencils guy, with watercolor washes now and then.

Most of my art for the last 10 years has been landscape. I love skies, clouds , atmospheric effects, and the interplay of light and shadow on the colors of nature. That is why I love living in the Denver area; just a short hop into the mountains.

There is an art 'movement' called "Luminism". That label is as close as I ever came to calling myself a certain type of artist. I like the big landscapes of Thomas Moran and Bierstadt.

Dale

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

It would be great if you might consider posting some pics in the Gallery of some of your work---any medium can go there and I'd love to see some---I know that Colorado is a very beautiful state, and no doubt you gain plenty of inspiration from all the great colors, etc...as the seasons change. I love snow scenes, waterfalls (the mists and spray effects around them too), mountain scenes, closeups of things in nature--leaves, rocks, seashells, wildlife, etc... and although all the seasons are great, I particularly love the look and feel of autumn most of all...the crisp fresh air, the bright colored leaves...I don't know, it's a very short season, but I just enjoy the atmosphere...seems like the world is slowing down a bit that time of year, kind of retrospective, quiet and peaceful.

I bet your mom has some wonderful wolf art!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    -Mark Twain

I have been putting off posting any of my "real" art, because I wanted to wait until I finally got a digital camera. I have most of my artwork photographed, on slides, so I'd have to get them scanned, something I've been too lazy and cheap to do.

If I can get the motivation, I'll get some print film and take some regular photos of some of my art.

Dale

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

You probably have lots of great photography equipment---and I know it (digital cameras) can't compare in resolution, etc... but they are very handy and fun to use...I use mine like a pocket camera, something to grab quickly and take snapshots of stuff...you might enjoy one too. I haven't done the serious photography you have---the last 35mm cameras I bought and still have and use are a couple of Canons---an F-1 and an AE-1, I also have an old Graflex stashed away somewhere that is pretty ancient but takes great landscapes. These are enough for me [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ! I got the F-1 because it also operates without the need of a battery in manual---a great thing in cold weather and also for what my main purpose was for it as a camera for very long exposure astrophotography where exposures are frequently 15 minutes, 30, even an hour or more (on a telescope using a motorized drive to tract the stars across the sky so there isn't trailing of the starlight--the attachment is one I made of Comet Hale-Bopp, my tracking wasn't perfect that night from the backyd and there were problems with wind trying to shake the scope too, but I still like it. It was taken at very high magnification "through" the telescope as well which just makes tracking even more of a challenge...astrophotography is very tricky!)...you're quickly talking dead battery with that type of use!!! It's a very good camera though and I'm not looking to replace it, I'm quite happy doing the exposure settings manually and using what auto features it has with battery power. It has a titanium body--isn't that odd? It's still a hefty camera though!
    Maybe you could post some of your photography too?

Another autumn enthusiast [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] !!! It is a gorgeous season!!! I can only imagine what it must be like in Colorado.
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by Crow Haven on May 30, 2002 at 15:40.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hale-Bopp_4-1-97_6x4.JPG 
Views:	193 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	16098  
    -Mark Twain

ok here is what I have now. Im very proud of it, yet know it is not close to being done [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] what next teacher [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

http://www.geocities.com/artistgurl1...y_tounge22.jpg
    WORK!!! please!
    courtney face

[This message was edited by Nicole B. Charshaf on June 01, 2002 at 19:46.]

I'm sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner, but I was gone all day---bought a new truck!!! Then had to plant my poor tomato plants, some blueberries, and other stuff, and assemble some wrought iron patio furniture---whew!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

The portrait is coming along GREAT!!! I think you're getting the hang of it--just keep going now...decide how much shading you want or if you want the style to be more or less photo-realistic...remember, it doesn't have to be photorealistic, it's just up to you. If you want to go in that direction more just to see how close you can get, then the next step after these main feature shadings would be to overlayer them with flat or elliptical transparencies that are very very close in color to the basic surrounding skin color---this will soften the colors more and blend them together. Use plenty of feathering. If you get an area that you're not too sure of just use the colorpicker and choose the base skin color for that transparency and see how any problem area just fades away. The trick is lots and lots of feathered layers...the more you use, the more softly blended it will look. Be sure to save your work often and make extra "save as" copies too...I can't stress the importance of that too much! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I'd say just using more feathering on shapes you have right now would be a good thing to try first. Then add more transparency layers over these. You've got the idea!!! Just keep pluggin away at it and you'll get it just the way you want it to look!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] If you want me to do another tut on blending some parts of the features just yell!!!! I don't want to add too much and get it confusing...so let me know, I'm happy to do it!!!
    Good job!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    P.S. I don't know why your pics don't post correctly here....hmmmm....I'm assuming they are in .jpg? Too large of a file size might be a problem...what format are your files in?
    -Mark Twain

but they may be too large...hrmm
    but hey, if you dont mind, i would love a tutorial...lol i follow your tutorials very well and am lost without them [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    thank you again for your encouraging words