Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: what next

It's only a problem that I have Win2k, but I'm sure that there's a way to find this font [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Oops, seems that I already had it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

and had time to catch up more on this wonderful forum and I must say, in other forums there would have been a war with all of this.

Instead there are mature, thoughful replies. Requests are filled with as much knowledge as available.

Maya you are so very helpful and always have such a positive attitude. I certainly take lesson with such an attitude. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Gary, as always the teacher but willing to learn [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Nicole, keep a stiff upper lip [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] with all of this. You couldn't have a better place to learn the art of XaraX [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Back to work.

RAMwolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

I try. You don't know what it means to hear a little validation of that---thanks soooo much!!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Maybe we don't say it often enough, but we are certainly thinking it!

Your positive approach and willingness to help is an inspiration to us all.

One of the most influential people in my life, would often say "What is the opportunity in this situation?", and he would often turn problems into creative and educational experiences.

Dale

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

appreciated, Dale!!! I just wish I could do more to help others see, as in your friend's statement, that in every challenge there is great opportunity for growth...and as so many others have said---it's not the destination, it's the journey which really is rewarding.

Another friend here mentioned that sometimes it's fear that holds some back from trying new things---a fear that they will somehow lose something, that their efforts will be judged by others harshly and they would feel some sort of failure...I just wish that feeling didn't exist, that they could just remember when they were very young how they felt such enthusiasm with each new discovery. When we were children and tried drawing pictures of family, friends, pets, etc...we were delighted with our results! From there we wanted to try more, and with even a bit of encouragement we revelled in our next accomplishments. I enjoy seeing people just cast any trepidations to the winds and go for it!!! There is so much to be gained. Everyone can do it!!!

On another note just about using XaraX, I remember when I was experimenting with fur textures, for example, many people here said they had no idea a vector
    program could be used like that (the wolf images)---but I had no idea it couldn't! I'm glad I hadn't been told it was impossible or too much trouble to do.

It's great to juggle patterns, beautiful images can result...but that is not all that XaraX can do. For those who want to learn more about shading with Xara---not just for a portrait, but also for any other objects that are not the usual spheres, rectangles, etc...trying a project like this can teach you a lot of new tricks about shading, lighting, colors, etc...beyond just using the usual modes. People can stick with just the safe and comfortable, or they can experiment and take chances with the techniques. I think the folks at Xara would love for people to use all of its capabilties, not just a few...and they would love for people to think of these techniques as not limited to the use of only a few "experts" out there. There is great interest I think in learning just such techniques along with the other usual ones---just take a look at the numbers of people who view this thread and similar ones...it's not just a couple of people who'd like to "paint" with XaraX.

The basics are great...but then reach for more! Some of these "other" techniques can lend more organic looks when you want that, and it can help create a "look" or unique style that doesn't just hit you with a "that must be a vector piece"....these very techniques are related to some of Tao's---you can produce soft watercolor effects with ease for landscapes or anything else you imagine.

I see images that are started then abandoned just when they actually are gaining momentum!!! I say, please, just stay with it a bit longer---mine looked no better, I just kept going! Don't listen to others who sometimes get together with the attitude of they "can't" do it (or are afraid just to try, or may even be afraid you will succeed) and so they seem to wait with baited breath for an opportunity to tell you, "see, well we knew it was too hard, don't feel bad we know we can't do it, don't get your hopes up"...... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]that is a very negative deadend approach...and worst of all, it's incorrect.

Drum roll---(adjusts soapbox)
    I will encourage everyone, unrelentingly, and try to help all those who want to take a chance and go for it! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Believe you can do it, and you will!

TA DA!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

...and thanks, Dale, for your help on ear colors... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dkwolf1.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	3579  
    -Mark Twain

NICE puppy! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

It was a fun project! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    -Mark Twain

It's amazing the effect one little suggestion can have. Of course, it takes a good artist to turn a suggestion into magic! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I am not a great artist by any means, but I consider myself a very good observer. I try to communicate my observations, though I may not know how to execute in Xara what I suggest! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Dale

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll