Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: what next

Everyone appreciates Gary's contributions and Gary is well aware of it. He is also someone people look to for encouragement as well as technique help, and he has a lot of influence---he can use constructively. I'm for a more positive approach about some things, however..."as you think, so you are..."

I know Nicole is fully aware of her strengths and she is realistic---she wants a little help is all, I'm willing to give it. I'd do the same for anyone, and it's quite alright for people to email me if they want to see if I could help them out on something too.

There should be no pressures put upon others to feel they must create images the same as someone else's...or do it in some certain set amount of time. Every effort made to learn a skill is in itself a triumph in my opinion. Stay positive, don't be hard on yourself, keep at it and the results will come.

I feel like I shouldn't have to defend this idea of being patient with oneself, being positive and perseverent...especially here [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] but anyway, yes, we all appreciate Gary and his expertise, let's be a bit more positive though.

Nicole---just ask away, I only just got barely started on some explanations last night and there are things yet to describe...and as you go along also remember to save your file frequently, it is also a good idea every so often after many changes you'd hate to lose to use the "save as" and name the file anew so there's other copies in case of a program crash---which becomes more and more possible the more complex the file becomes.

Just think of your shading as patches of darker and lighter tones...as when you are drawing and you think at a spot on the picture that you would need to add a smudge of shadowing or highlighting---then just draw a similar shape for that area, make it an elliptical transparency and adjust its feathering and color tones---stack on more. It's easier to build up very subtle colored layers and get the right look than to try an achieve it with a single layer or two of colors you might fuss over.

You can do it!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

You absolutely have the capacity to do it and I know you can!!! I understand about needing to find time to practice it---time is at a premium for all of us.

Feel free to ask also about anything that has you stalled for the time being.

I can say, that if I had been told it was too tough to tackle it might have hindered me---nah, on second thought, I'm kinda stubborn and don't give up without a real fight. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] But don't let any discouragement take hold and throw you off track of a goal you want to achieve. There's always a way!!! Maybe we could try sort of a workshop thread on portraiture---anyone who wants to join in start one, yes, sometimes that first step of just setting it up and putting in a few pieces is a big one towards getting going on it. If or whenever you have the time I'd be happy to assist.

---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Thanks for the encouragement!

I am not stuck on anything in particular. Starting is the problem, as I feel I need several hours uninterrrupted practice, to make my learning efforts worth the time spent. I don't get much out of an hour here and an hour there.

With a portrait, I feel I would need at least 4 hours minimum to make a good start, to build up some good momentum that would compel me to continue in later sessions, until I had a reasonably acceptable image. It's difficult to find 4 uninterrupted hours with my schedule.

Maybe I'll take the day off and do it today.....

Dale

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

The last thing I want to do is stiffle anyone's creativity or enjoyment of Xara.

If Nicole wants to do a portrait in Xara, it is fine by me.

But instead of trying to recreate a technique you are not comfortable with at this point Nicole, why not try something different.

For example. You said you don't just want to show off the Ellipse Tool. But maybe you could create a portrait using nothing but ellipses. Big ones, small ones, circles, skinny ellipses. In all kinds of colors. Like the Impressionists did?

There is more than one way to skin a cat as they say. Or in the case of San Rafael, the occassional bobcat.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

but this---

"For example. You said you don't just want to show off the Ellipse Tool. But maybe you could create a portrait using nothing but ellipses. Big ones, small ones, circles, skinny ellipses. In all kinds of colors. Like the Impressionists did?

There is more than one way to skin a cat as they say. Or in the case of San Rafael, the occassional bobcat." (or here, it is a cougar)

This is what I love---sharing the ideas, and encouraging trying and learning! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] This is why I keep coming back, and you can't get rid of me!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    -Mark Twain

Something I have learnt from this forum is the need to evolve your own style - it could be photo-realistic but something new and ground-breaking will be admired for its very originality.

Compare and contrast Vladimyr with Tao!

www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

This is just what I said here in an earlier post---that there's no reason to feel your work has to be like someone else's---and no reason to feel that yours is lacking because it is different...those differences are what leads to your own style! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    -Mark Twain

you guys are completly amazing. Gary i love your idea and i think i will try it soon. I love being an individual so doing something like that would be very much my cup of tea. as for something to show to my class i want it to be more generic.
    one thing that i have realized (again) is that people learn so many different ways. for me i love having every last thing spelled out to me. Maya thank you for being so patient my project is actually coming along. i cant wait to post it on here for the next step.
    thank you to everyone again [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I am so happy for you!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Talk with ya later---
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    -Mark Twain

ok i got as far as the eyelids and now im getting stuck. i dont understand why/how you would rotate stretch reshape clone etc this to make it look that way.
    here is an example of what i have so far.
    also, i need a little more guidance on the nose

the picture is at the bottom