Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I'd go bang on the door and ask for an audiance [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

XaraLtd' head honcho members are harder to get answers from than the Queen herself!!! Heck, maybe someone at the palace can fill us in [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

(this is not meant to offend anyone, just make you smile [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img], So SMILE, DARN IT!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img])

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

I agree that the lack of news is disconcerting, but ti's alway been the same from our friends at Xara.

Remember how it was when Xara X was being released? We didn't know anything about it until late on in the process, and even after that the details released were sketchy and few and far between.

Xara needs to focus it's PR a little better, they need to listen to people like us and to answer our questions. They should give us a clear roadmap of where they intend to go with their products in the future.

They question ust be asked, do they know where they are going??

Michael Ward
    http://www.metalandplastics.co.uk
    http://www.leighcenturions.net

... about the evolution of Xara X is... ... ... not good... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I wish we could get a reassuring one-liner atleast, and I think we will... I think... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Risto

risto@ristoklint.com

Visit my web site!

Seem to me there was a Gentleman from marketing who asked us for input as to who you would recommend as a Xara reseller. If they (Xara) are looking at a marketing blitz, maybe they will have something new to market. Just a thought.

Ich bin ein New Yorker
    "If you can do good, you should."
    W.K. Clark

In the near past, Xara Ltd. is focussing 100% on finding resellers around the world it seems.

No plans for updates or new features have been revealed. Not even to Gary, because even if he were not allowed to give away all information, he would at least have given us a hint.

So this looks like Xara Ltd. has problems. Lots of them. The monetary sort. Seems like either they find distributors soon or there will be no new nothing.

And tell you what: It's their own fault!!
    Creating good software is not enough. Not even with loyal followers like us.
    How many members are there in our Xara-X forum ??
    Let's say two thirds of them bought the software. The other third would be lurkers or just test-driving X.

This number of buyers won't be that high and one should guess more or less every owner of Xara-X should drop in sooner or later.

I've been criticising Xara over their bad marketing and sometimes plain ignorance for years. Seems now they get the bill for not listening.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't say they get the bill because they were not listening to ME. But because they ignored all rules of good marketing.

Every current XX-owner in this forum is apt to buy the next version as well. I would for sure.
    So why don't they give us at least tiny bits of information to keep us happy ??
    Even if they had the character to tell us they had problems, wouldn't we try to help ??

If one-liners of Derek to tell him about distributors is all they can come up with, I feel used and not taken serious.

If it weren't for the great software itself and this wonderful place I would not spend another cent on them ...

Just once again my rant ...

Wolfgang

If XaraX was NEVER updated, would that render the software we know and love worthless? Adobe Illustrator, Canvas, CorelDraw, and Macromedia Freehand have each had a couple revisions since Xara X came out, but I would still MUCH rather use Xara, although a few more features would be much appreciated.

I would DEFINITELY buy the next version of Xara, and would suggest to Xara that they should get their marketing sh*t together. They've completely undersold this program since day one, and that is a shame. No other vector drawing program has people producing such lush, organic-looking illustrations like Xara's users.

Xara hasn't NEEDED to update as often as the others, because it's design is so better thought out. When Illustrator. CorelDraw, or Freehand versions 20 come out, if Xara STILL hasn't gone past version X, it'll STILL be on my hard drive. But I hope it'll be to version XIII or so.......

Danny Huff
    http://www.asherrocks.com
    (I'm the guy who USED to have a lot of excess hair)

is it has taken this long for this issue to come up.

And why is that?

Is it because Xara X is pretty cool as is and we have not outgrown the features yet?

I don't have the answer but I suspect aside from the usual nit picks we are pretty happy with Xara X and that it holds up well to the competition.

I don't know what the plans are for the next version of Xara except that I can say that support of and development of Xara X continues.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Much appreciated but I do agree with Wolfgang and Danny and others about the marketing.

When they broke off from Corel to go out on their own again they should have had the foresight, if not just to cover all their bases, to market them selves more thoroughly. The web is not enough, it seems.

NOW they are looking to market them selves more and yet we get indications (lack of information from NOT ONE of any one in the know there at XARA Ltd) of what the future holds. If it's all about a slip into nothing then so be it, just tell us.

I for one won't forsake the use of a program that does so much at such an affordable price but there are a few bugs and fixes that would be appreciated and of course the ever growing list of features to add to it.

There is anticipation, there are potential newbies that are waiting, there are long time users and other users that have worked the program out pretty thoroughly and know what the glitches and bugs are and it would be really nice if XaraLtd was paying attention and if they indeed are then how about someone coming down from the mountain and tell us what the deal is here???

It's really not to demanding, I think it's fair and the right thing to do, not keep us in the dark like this. It's not a surprise when something new comes out of XaraLtd. it's more of like one holding one's breath for a very long time and finally getting to breath again. It's like: "THANK YOU, it's about time, just had me wondering for, oh, I don't know, 2 or 3 years now if you were still around or not".

I know there is nothing you or Ross or Egg or any other moderator can do, but many of us wish there was more communication from XaraLtd. about these matters!! AND of course we are all grateful for your input, advice and insightfulness!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

I think Gary has a good point.

How many of you want Xara to add and add features and become bloatware?

Think of the features you would like, and then cut that list down to the most vitally important, the priorities, and tell Xara Ltd. what those features are. (Better exporting to CMYK, etc.)
    We had talked about better bitmap handling and possible bitmap brushes on another thread, but I would actually prefer that be left out, to keep Xara lean and mean, and FAST.

As someone who has used Xara X for only a few months, I am AMAZED at this software in several respects: 1) the learning curve is wonderful, 2) it is such a quick application unless you are using brushes or blends, 3) it is so fast to put together graphics, and very intuitive to use all of the tools, 4) it is very easy to communicate to others how to create something, 5) it is well organized.

For those of you who have used Xara for several years, why not make a wish list, and keep in mind
    the need to keep Xara fast and lean, prioritize your list, and communicate to Xara Ltd. individually or enmasse, the features/fixes you'd like to see in the future.

I have heard a lot of whining about the lack of an upgrade, but no substantial input as to what should be in that upgrade, except comments here and there on different threads.

I suggest a new thread, to give users the opportunity to voice their greatest needs, and what they'd like to see added/improved in the next version of Xara X.

When that is done, the items most often mentioned could be forwarded to Xara Ltd., for their consideration for the next version.

I cringe when software manufacturers come out with "major" upgrades. You can add a couple of megs in size, and a lot of features you will probaly never use. Let's keep Xara small and fast!

http://www.eyesitewebdesign.com/dale.gif

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

Gary W. Priester seem to believe that XaraX is upto standard with other graphics programs, because onone have asked questions about the next version so far...

...hmmm... That scares me! I have have heard thoughts like that before. I was a happy user of a computer system - non-pc - called Acorn. People used an OS called RISC-OS, and many had the same attitude as the one Gary is sending out with his reply. Take care, RISC-OS is now a dead product (well almost).

The company back then had a very strong product "Artworks" - which at a later stage became Xara X! The company - Xara - transformed into a PC based program, leaving the Acorn people behind. That happened in a quired way.

I am afraid that something simular might happen now: same company, same scenarie! Xara is focusing on a natural thing: Survival, and that is not going to happen by selling few Xara X programs (alone).

They are in need for something new - a field has come up: Online services - webservices. How many many times when announcing somthing/anything news has it not been webservices related?

Don't get me wrong. I love Xara and is hoping for the best - but I am getting closer to a situation where XaraX simply is becoming an island!

I have to be able to talk-graphics with the outside world! And JPEG, GIF, PNG (and certanly not a 40% SWF support) is NOT enough. I have been working with WEB since 1995 - and new players are getting on the field (all of the time).

SVG will do ALL that JPEG, GIF, PNG and SWF does, and more! I need to see this:

Cheers,

Sten
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	svg.jpg 
Views:	494 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	1992  
    Cheers,

Sten
    "Everything has two sides"