Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Here is a great, simple and fast way to increase or decrease color saturation in any image, either globally or locally. This can save hours of tweaking colors! Just make a rectangle all over the art, and select the "Saturation" transparency. Filling it with white will boost saturation insanely, filling it with black will make a grayscale image - which is very useful for working on tonal values in separation from the complexity of hues. Gradients are useful for making smooth changes in saturation. 50% black will leave the saturation as it is.

K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XaraX_Saturation.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	10543  
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

Here is a great, simple and fast way to increase or decrease color saturation in any image, either globally or locally. This can save hours of tweaking colors! Just make a rectangle all over the art, and select the "Saturation" transparency. Filling it with white will boost saturation insanely, filling it with black will make a grayscale image - which is very useful for working on tonal values in separation from the complexity of hues. Gradients are useful for making smooth changes in saturation. 50% black will leave the saturation as it is.

K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I'm going to have to play. Could be fun trying it with repeating gradients.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Thanks for the great tip Klaus!

I imported the train from Xara X's clip art gallery. Kloned it twice. Converted both clones to editable objects. Used the shape editor to "drop out" the train (crudely, I'll admit). This allowed me to CRTL-2 subtract the train from the other clone, leaving a trained shape hole in it. I filled this remaining clone white and supperimposed it on the original photo. Now, by applying flat, saturation transparency to the clone, I can convert the photo's background to grayscale. If I had saved the train drop-out chunk, colored it black, and applied the same transparency, I would have been able to play with the train's color saturation.

Thanks again Klaus.

Al Kolka
    alkolka@attbi.com

Name:	train.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	19908  

I did something similar with a photograph of a local Rugby League legend... with a little more effect added for good measure [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Michael Ward
    http://www.metalandplastics.co.uk
    http://www.leighcenturions.net

Name:	Timmy.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	10.8 KB 
ID:	8353  

posting, Klaus. Thanks for waking us up. Now if I can just stay awake. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]