Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

there is silence because everyone @ Xara has got themselves buried up to their eyeballs in code crunching.

...And they are communicating via their internet support. I reported an issue and I did get a reply about 5 days later thanking me. Although it was not an immediate response it still bets many others.

Situation is serious, but not desperate.

If the people at Xara are either hung up on their other products like Webstyle & Xara Modules that they don't have enough time or manpower for Xara

or

the are adding some significant features that require secrecy and can only be disclosed prior to the imminent release of the next version.

I hope the latter is the case, but I do feel ignored by Xara. This is easily the most active, if not the only forum for Xara discussion. When was the last time you heard from Kate or anyone at Xara even just to say, "Hi, we haven't forgotten you?."

I would like to think that there are Xara employees whose job it is to monitor this forum and gather the best input and suggestions for improving their products.

I fear that Xara will go the way of Xara 3d and that whatever wonderful practical benefits the program has, it will be gradually obliterated by competing products who are constantly upgrading their releases with patches.

And I am a proponent of patches. We don't need a major new release with fan fare, we need some added functionality and improved compatibility. I would much rather see a service patch than a marketing campaign.

The way I see it Xara is like the Sony Betamax and Illustrator is VHS. Beta was a superior picture, but VHS was more common. I think compatibility will beat superior quality (usability) by sheer numbers.

Don't get me wrong, I love using Xara for almost everything, but it's getting closer and closer to the point that Xara is becoming less of a viable option when in the end I have to convert everthing I do to either illustrator or flash.

And the conversion process is becoming more of a pain than using the other program in the first place.

Xara needs to pay attention to their customers and at least update their site with SOME news of what's going on.

Just my opinion.

Sheffield Abella
    sheff@sheff.com
    www.sheff.com
    Sheff
    My Site

Sheffield, I totally agree! Some patches now and then, with a few fixes and smaller improvements, would make us all feel much better - and it would objectively demonstrate to a lot of fence-sitters that, yes, "XaraX is a alive and well, so I will invest in it."

Gary's notion that "since no one has complained for all this long time proves that XX is really all right" is absolute nonsense, both factually and logically. Tons of postings since the release of XX 1 have demonstrated a plethora of shortcomings, bugs and new feature requests.

K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

The problem is that XaraX does have bugs and problems, but we don't seem to see any effort to have them fixed.

I'd like to see more and better export filters, more responsive (and less crash prone) brush handling and some general tidying up of bugs.

Just some signs of life on the product would be good...

Michael Ward
    http://www.metalandplastics.co.uk
    http://www.leighcenturions.net

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ...hmmm... That scares me! I have have heard thoughts like that before. I was a happy user of a computer system - non-pc - called Acorn. People used an OS called RISC-OS, and many had the same attitude as the one Gary is sending out with his reply. Take care, RISC-OS is now a dead product (well almost). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was not my desire to communicate that Xara does not care and I think you misinterpreted my comments, Sten.

I said that Xara is continuing to support and develop Xara X.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

I recieved this newsletter from Xara Online...
    Yes - perhaps Xara Online is NOT offically Xara, but... Probertly the same funds has to be shared since the same people are behind these two very
    different companies...

My personal understanding (taking into account that english IS my second language :-) of this is that Xara needs to generate new business (to survive?).

Just imagine if Adobe made that sort of choices...!

Tell us Xara: "Where does you path goto? It is okay to make decisions - but you should stand by your decisions, be honest..."

I made a decision: I wish to express my point of view here... Please understand that it is not to offend anyone - I am just fustrated...

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Cheers,

Sten
    Cheers,

Sten
    "Everything has two sides"

... Diversification is not necessarily a bad thing. If Xara can see that there is money to be made on their on-line ventures - more power to them!

The more money they have in the bank - the more money they can put in to developing their product line.

I'm selfish, so of course I would also like to see the brilliant Xara team locked in a dungeon and not allowed to come out until they have a Xara X2... but unfortunately it doesn't work that way [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Risto

risto@ristoklint.com

Visit my web site!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Forget what I said about being nice! Let's blitzkrieg Mark and Kate, and demand some more news! K<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I guess I can also reveal that, according to Kate, the release of XX2 is quite far away, alas. I have no date but I have a strong hunch that they are doing major work on it. I predict that XX2 is going to knock us all flat . . . K<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone