Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Going Moldy

I have been trying to teach myself to use the mold tool. I want to create an envelope in whatever shape I desire.

The Help file says that a perspective mold must have four straight sides but an envelope mold can have some curves.

I created a shape that looked like a ribbon unfurling, copied it to the clipboard and tried to apply it to some text with the "Paste Envelope" function, all to no avail. I keep getting a message to the effect that the the shape is unsuitable.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. J [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

I have been trying to teach myself to use the mold tool. I want to create an envelope in whatever shape I desire.

The Help file says that a perspective mold must have four straight sides but an envelope mold can have some curves.

I created a shape that looked like a ribbon unfurling, copied it to the clipboard and tried to apply it to some text with the "Paste Envelope" function, all to no avail. I keep getting a message to the effect that the the shape is unsuitable.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. J [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

To copy and paste a mold, use the copy and paste mold icons on the Infobar. It is slightly different than merely using copy and paste or even paste attributes.

Select the molded object, press the Copy envelope icon, select the target object (text) and press the Paste Envelope icon.

(You may need to stretch the text vertically.)

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

http://www.thuntek.net/gwp/flag.png

Gary, I select the mold tool, select the shape but when I go to press the 'copy envelope' button it's greyed out and won't copy the selection.

The shape I'm using is a closed shape with no fill. I really am having trouble with this tool.

Thanks, J

Gary, I'm just working my way through your October flat tutorial and all is becoming clear.
    Thank you. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] J

In your flag tut, you give the following instruction:

--------------------------------------------------
    Right click on the fill with the Fill Tool. Two text entry boxes will appear on the Infobar. Change the Fractal Resolution to 40dpi and the Fractal Graininess to 3. Press Enter to apply the changes.

--------------------------------------------------

No matter what I do I can't seem to the text entry boxes to appear. I know it must be me, but I need a bit more help.

create a fractal fill first?

You need to first create the fractal clouds fill and then right click on the fill to make the text entry boxes appear.

That help?

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

http://www.thuntek.net/gwp/flag.png

The way I start a new shape is to start with the square envelope mold around a 200 px square, copy it and paste it into a new drawing with grids etc. I used this for all the mold shapes I posted in the shareware section.
    I started doing this because I found that sometimes a square can have five points, two points so close together that I didn't notice until I tried to use the shape as a mold envelope

Tony

[This message was edited by Gary W. Priester on November 23, 2001 at 17:51.]
    Tony

Thanks for your help guys. No Gary, Duh... I didn't create the fractal fill first. But with your help and Tony's I'm starting to understand it a lot better. J [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img])

Thanks for adding the link, Gary.
    I'm now starting to look at the perspective envelope and having great fun with it. I haven't managed to work out the arithmatic yet, however,
    Tony
    Tony