Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I do know that I once read about a possibility to have more than one guide layer in a Xara document. Unfortunately I forgot how to do this. And furthermore I was unable to find a related message in the forums...

Anyone still remebers?
    Is it still possible in Xara X?

thx.maak.

I do know that I once read about a possibility to have more than one guide layer in a Xara document. Unfortunately I forgot how to do this. And furthermore I was unable to find a related message in the forums...

Anyone still remebers?
    Is it still possible in Xara X?

thx.maak.

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Maak - I don't believe it is possible to have multiple guide layers. (It is possible to have multiple 'background' layers of which the guides are one).

I've tried to imagine the value of having multiple guide layers. The only thing I can think of it might have use in complex drawings where it might be nice to toggle between multiple sets of guide lines. There is a work around for that...

Xara lets you draw lines (including curves etc.) in the guide layer. Those lines can then be grouped into sets that serve different purposes. Using xara's 'flip' button a particular group can be flipped out of the way when you don't want to use it. Of course you can move the group anyway you want - I just find the flip tool convienient for such things (when used with the 'set origin' thingie found in the 'infobar').

Interestingly, on Xara's guide layer you cannot group any guidelines added in by dragging from a ruler bar or added via the dialogue box. You can group any lines you draw or paste in.

I don't know if this has been any help Maak. If not perhaps you can explain what you are trying to do. How would multiple guide layers be helpful?

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Maak

It's easy.

Create a new layer.

Drag the new layer down to the Background Layers area.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester">
    Be it ever so humble...</a>

http://www.thuntek.net/gwp/flag.png

Gary - That doesn't create another guide layer - it only creates a background layer. Lines on the guide layer react with your drawing tools used in other layers when 'snap to guides' is on. That only happens with the guide layer - not other background layers.

Background layers have the interesting property of being non-printable.

Regards, Ross

*In General Option select "Import layers into new Layers"

*Create any blank document with a guide layer (right-click on Layers Gallery and choose "Create Guide Layer")

*Save it

*Import it; guides will import too! (see attachment)

If you right-click on the a guide layer and change the color, your "real" guides (including the horizontal and verticle ones you drag from the ruler) will be this color (green in the screenshot).

All your "imported guides" will be whatever your default guide color is. Usually it's red, unless you tweak it via the registry(link).. John S. Clements' suggestion comes in very handy.

The advantage of this? You can separate the guides you drag from the ruler away from custom ones. You you can show/hide them independently, or reorder them (say you need some guides to be on top of your drawing and other guides to be underneath). If you want, you can change the world with multiple guide layers!!! And lets not forget to rename them to something more meaningful than "Imported Guides (1)"

[This message was edited by Alex W. on November 05, 2001 at 18:56.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guides.gif 
Views:	276 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	2553  
    creativesuperhero.ca

Good Stuff Alex!

I can imagine this could be helpful in quite complex drawings - ones where particular guidelines are used to help draw the specific objects but conflict when trying to draw other parts. Now those "other parts" can have there own guides.

Hey! Wait a second! Alex are you able to selectively make those additional guide layers inactive??

Regards, Ross

I tried this out a little while ago but had refresh problems with the guide lines. Turn on one guide layer and all guide layers turn on; turn one off and all turn off I believe. Save the file and reopen the file and all the guidelayers are moved to background.

Alex, can you confirm some of the little glitches?

I know CorelDRAW10 has the ability for more than one guide type and designate different colors in the options setup. That way you can have different templates of guides and when used you can easily distinguish between standard guides and template guides. I really have not had a great need for the feature. However, someone in a commercial print shop with different forms to produce would probably make great use of this feature.

You guys are wonderful!
    I knew I can always count on you!

Thanks very much.

bye.maak.