Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JPEG Export

If you have an image that is 450 x 450 pixels and you want to export a JPEG at 200 x 200 pixels and maintain 96 dpi, is the only way to do this by resizing the actual Xara image. I am a bit confused by the export dialog box.
    Thanks,
    Graham

If you have an image that is 450 x 450 pixels and you want to export a JPEG at 200 x 200 pixels and maintain 96 dpi, is the only way to do this by resizing the actual Xara image. I am a bit confused by the export dialog box.
    Thanks,
    Graham

If you choose your size in pixels, then DPI is irrelevant.

DPI is only relevant if you are working in a real-world measurement (ie, Inches - where 96 DPI means there are 96 pixels per inch).

So if you are a looking for a 200pix x 200pix image then don't worry about the DPI.

Michael Ward</p>
    <a href="http://leighcenturions.net>LeighCenturions.net</a>

Dpi info is embedded in the jpeg file, so ideally you should resize the image to the correct (96 dpi) size in Xara. For (current) web use, it's not necessary.

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean

Sean's advice is good advice.
    I believe there will come a day when browsers will allow you to zoom into bitmaps and when that happens the DPI in JPEGs will be considered by browsers for image sizing.
    Design the image at the correct size e.g. 200*200 pixels at 100%, and if you want to make edits while the image fills the screen for ease of use, then zoom in. Xara X makes this a particularly painless exercise with features like the previous zoom button on the main button bar and the mouse wheel control.

Mark Goodall
    Xara Ltd

My understanding was that 200x200 on a MAC is different to a 200x200 on a PC because MAC screens are 72dpi and PC screens are 96dpi.

Is this true?

If so that means on a PC a 200x200 at 72pdi will be smaller than a 200x200 at 96dpi? <-question?

Thus the dpi is important, yes? Or is Xara X working around that?

Turan

we just talked about thathere

If you don't work against time, time often works for you.

It said I'm not logged in when I am! Can you give me another pointer to that discussion?

And/Or test the link.

thanks.

Turan

Do you know UBB code? Well, talkgraphics infopop doesn't always!

the topic is:

Flash export sizing, a topic started by William Armstrong on May,23, and still on the first page of this forum.

If you don't work against time, time often works for you.

Mark: "Xara X makes this a particularly painless exercise with features like the previous zoom button on the main button bar and the mouse wheel control."

True. And if XaraX also had a 100% button/shortcut, 90% of all the particularly painful zooming could be eliminated.

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")