Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hello all,
    This is a bit away from the norm. But please give me links where I can read and understand theory behind the various graphic file types. I know that there are 3 types of files viz., Bitmap (*.bmp,*.gif...), Vector(*.cdr...) and Meta (*.xar,*.psd...).

But I don't know how is tif better than jpeg and so forth.

Help. Just some links to readup.
    Q

Hello all,
    This is a bit away from the norm. But please give me links where I can read and understand theory behind the various graphic file types. I know that there are 3 types of files viz., Bitmap (*.bmp,*.gif...), Vector(*.cdr...) and Meta (*.xar,*.psd...).

But I don't know how is tif better than jpeg and so forth.

Help. Just some links to readup.
    Q

Hello Quaker

Not sure about the Meta unless it is because it can contain both vector and bitmap images such as a Windows Meta File which can contain vectors and bitmaps. Mac PICT is like that too. Basically Xara is a vector application because it creates images using vector outline information. Photoshop is basically a bitmap editing application because it creates objects using pixels. But as both applications support a little of both, then maybe meta is correct.

TIFF (tagged image file format) is better than JPEG (Joint Photographic Experts Group) because it retains all the image information, even if you cannot see it. So if you reduce and enlarge a TIFF image, within reason, it will not suiffer for it. A JPEG image, especially one that has been condensed a lot, will degrade every time it is resaved because it throws out any hidden information that is not necessary at the current resolution.

This is all very basic and very sketchy. L'll have to see if there is more information on this.

Ah, I just zipped over to Google.com and came up with this link. Image File Formats List

And here is another, (Google.com is the greatest) The Graphics File Formats Page

That ought to get you started :-)

Gary

Quaker,

I don't think the reference to META file types is appropriate in this case.

Xara's *.XAR and Adobe Photoshop's *.PSD files would more correctly be termed PROPRIETORY file types. They contain information (vector, bitmap, etc.) in standard or non-standard forms plus their own, propietory information used to implement their specific features, methods, attributes, protections, etc.

META, as used in high tech, is almost always used as Merriam-Webster's dictionary specifies in #3 below:

"META
    Main Entry: meta-
    Variant(s): or met-
    Function: prefix
    Etymology: New Latin & Medieval Latin, from Latin or Greek; Latin, from Greek, among, with, after, from meta among, with, after; akin to Old English mid, mith with, Old High German mit
    1 a : occurring later than or in succession to : after <metestrus> b : situated behind or beyond <metencephalon> <metacarpus> c : later or more highly organized or specialized form of <metaxylem>
    2 : change : transformation
    3 [metaphysics] : more comprehensive : transcending <metapsychology> -- used with the name of a discipline to designate a new but related discipline designed to deal critically with the original one <metamathematics>
    4 a : involving substitution at or characterized by two positions in the benzene ring that are separated by one carbon atom <meta-xylene> b : derived from by loss of water <metaphosphoric acid>".

For example, HTML META tags contain descriptions of the HTML tag contents in the file. SGML and XML are METALANGUAGES used to define other languages. BNF (Backus-Naur Form) is a META language used to describe other languages (programming languages like C++ are formally described in BNF).

Please pardon my running on.

Hey thanks guys. This is great. Now I will know all!
    Q

Here is another site that might help.

http://www.scantips.com/files.html

Stan