Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Steve

There is a visible difference between 72 and 96 dpi for digital design or Web design purposes, but it is about the software instead of the hardware as the people here has wrote.

More dots per inch means more resolution when the software renders an image (When converting curves into blocks of squares). To see it clear, you can use a software that handles vector images with bitmaps, an image rendered with 96 dpi will have better quality, to see it you just have to make a zoom and see the anti-aliasing. Some Windows programs has rendering machines that creates the quality as using 96 dpi even when you could be working with 72. I think most do it right now.

The dpi is used also to define the canvas size, weight of lines and the way that bitmaps are showed when you work with them.

In resume, verify if the software you use renders vector to bitmaps and if there are differences between 72 and 96, also what density is easier for you to work, then you will have your own answer.

Here's my understanding of the issue and all the below relates to exports from XaraX, so I'm not talking about Photoshop as I'm not sure what Photoshop uses as it's native ppi.

Try this as an experiment:
    Open XaraX
    Utilities / Options / Units / Pixels
    Draw a 96 x 96 pixel square.
    Utilities / Options / Units / Inches
    The square is 1.0" x 1.0"
    This is because your monitor is set at the PC norm of 96 ppi. (96 / 96 = 1)
    Hold a ruler up to the square and it's not going to be 1.00 inches square! This is because of different sized monitors with different screen resolutions. For example, Birds 800 x 600 screen will fit into Saz's 1600 x 1200 screen 4 times.

However it will print out at 1.0" x 1.0".

Now back to web graphics. If your producing a graphic on a PC and using software originating from a PC base, export your graphic at 96, not 72. At 96 the image will match that of your XaraX images dimensions. (96 x 96)

If you export at 72, then the image will be only 3/4's the size of the original. (72 x 72). Of course the file size is smaller - the image is smaller.
    If you increase the image dimensions within your web page software, there will be a subsequent loss of image quality.

So to reiterate, if you want to export your image to the web the same size as it appears in XaraX, use 96.

View this alongside a xaraX screen with a 96 x 96 pixel image. Notice how the 96 dpi image is the correct dimensions.

Bird
    As a matter of interest, if you created your images in Vector, why are you converting them to Bitmaps?

If you want to create a page using Flash, optimised for 800 x 600 resolution, the approximate screen real estate available is about 760 x 470 pixels, allowing for browswer furniture.

So I recommend that you create your comic strips within this work area, never allowing the width to exceed 760, and therefore there should be no need for horizontal scrolling.

If you decide to abandon 800 x 600 users, then increase your work area to approx 975 x 560 pixels.

Re the image size / screen resolution problem. If you had 2 x 14" monitors, one set at 800 x 600 resolution and the other at 1600 x 1200 resolution, your images would appear a quarter of the size in the second than the first. That said tho, people tend to set there screen resolution to suit there needs / equipment capabilities. They don't usually run them at resolutions they can't read comfortably with, so I would suggest your fears are unfounded re this point.

Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg,

Thanks for your reply. Very interesting demonstration with the apple.

I am not using 800 x 600 on my monitor -- that was an error on my part. I'm at 1024 x 768, which I'm assuming is the most commonly used resolution.

Is this what you meant when you said to use 975 x 560 pixels? Actually, I can't use exactly that dimension, because my comics aren't that shape, they're in a different ratio.

Now I'm still not 100% clear on this. Here's the way it works with me.

I draw the comics in Flash. Flash is a vector program. I need to export them as GIFs to put them on the website I'm making.

In the export dialog box, you get to set resolution in DPI, and also height and width of the image in pixels. I try to export at 96, but when I do that the image's size automatically is increased in the dialog box.

The Flash cartoons are too big to display on the screen without scrolling, so I have to scale them down to a size that will fit on the screen when I export. When I do that, the export dialog box sets the resolution depending on what the chosen size is. The smaller the size, the lower the resolution becomes. (I'm not trying to make them bigger, just smaller.)

I can't make it smaller and simultaneously increase the resolution.

Yet I feel that sometime in the past, I was able to do that. But I can't remember just how.

And I also have a recollection that even if something might look the same on the screen as a higher resolution image, you will see the difference when you zoom in, as you mentioned.

Hmmm...maybe that was something I noticed when I was preparing photos for the web. Yes, I think that is the source of my memory.

I guess Flash vector drawings are different.

So the biggest question to me now is, should I be drawing my comics the same size I want them to display? But because I draw them in vector, I think it doesn't make any difference, cause I can always scale them down.

I don't know what Xara is, by the way.

Boy, this stuff is confusing. I'll be grateful when SVG becomes the standard and these images can be vector not bitmap.

Hi Bird.
    You say that you draw the images in Flash. Perhaps the easiest way for me to explain is if you send me a copy of one of your Flash files (the .fla) and I'll try my best to see what I can do.
    You can email me at NOSPAM.e.bramhill@btopenworld.com (just remove the NOSPAM.).
    Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Here's an idea: Bitmap trace - will be the least image size.

P.S. Egg, nice anchor face http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Bird, I've never used Flash but I have a feeling the default DPI is 72. It would make sense as that's the standard for the web.

If that is the case, it would explain why your image size increases when you change the dpi to 96 (Xara's default DPI).
    Saz ~ Naturally Blonde, Naturally Dizzy!

Saz
    You're correct, Flash is a Macromedia prog ported from the MAC, so it defaults to 72dpi, thus the size anomilies when importing between Xara and Flash.

However, I can't say I argee with you re:

It would make sense as that's the standard for the web.
    If you're using a standard desktop PC then 96 ppi (or dpi) is the standard resolution. Using Inches very losely here.

From here

Pixels, Dots, and Resolution
    The terms pixel and dot are used interchangeably. Pixel is short for picture element (pix-el). It is a relative length unit that represents the smallest amount of information displayed on the screen as a single dot. Screen resolution is expressed in dots per inch (dpi), which is the number of dots—or pixels—the screen displays per linear inch.

The normal resolution on most systems is 96 dpi. Until recently, most computer hardware was not capable of producing higher resolution, but this is changing. Several hardware manufacturers, particularly manufacturers of laptop systems, are building systems capable of producing higher resolution. These systems will be available before the end of the year 2001.

Images become crisper and text more legible as dpi increases. Because computer screens have sharper pixels and support gray scale, the text on a 200 dpi monitor is as clear as the printout from a 600 dpi laser printer.

Note Screen resolution can also be expressed as the total number of pixels displayed horizontally and vertically—such as 640 by 480, 800 by 600, and 1024 by 768. For example, 640 by 480 means there are 640 pixels displayed horizontally and 480 pixels displayed vertically.
    Egg
    Egg

>Bird, I've never used Flash but I have a >feeling the default DPI is 72. It would make >sense as that's the standard for the web.

Saz, well, what is the significance of that? I mean, does it mean that I could get better quality in my GIFs if I used a different program to draw the pictures? One that didn't default to 72?

It's still confusing me. Whatever Flash's default is, you can set the resolution to whatever you want when you export. But you can't set it independently of the image size.

Bird
    I think your becoming overconfused here. (That's why I suggest you emailed me a copy of your Flash file)
    In your case the thing that REALLY matters is the image in pixel sizes. ie 400 x 564 pixels.
    I would resize your vector drawing to the aproximate size you want to export it. Then export at this size.
    EDITED:
    Don't work about the dpi settings
    Egg
    Egg

Originally posted by Egg Bramhill:

However, I can't say I argee with you re:

It would make sense as that's the standard for the web.
    72 dpi/ppi is standard for the internet. It's the optimum setting because you get a decent picture quality while keeping the file size down, hence the loading time down. It also uses less bandwidth, which is import if you pay for your own hosting.

If you don't believe me, check Google. While there are a few sites here and there which say 96, by far the majority say 72. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
    Saz ~ Naturally Blonde, Naturally Dizzy!