Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Saz
    dpi (or ppi) doesn't matter for web work. Just the overall pixel width & height.
    Where it does matter is at the time of export. If your using a program who's basic resolution is 96 dpi, and you've adjusted your image to the size you want it when viewing at 100%, then exporting it at 96 dpi will export it at the exact same dimensions as seen on your screen.

If you export it at 72 dpi, the image will be smaller than the original. (So of course the file size will be smaller also!)

However if your using a Mac ported program on a PC then this might use 72dpi as it's native resolution, then you may need to export at 72 dpi to maintain the same size as this program.

Other than the above, dpi means nothing for web production.

See this

Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Originally posted by Egg Bramhill:
    Hi Bird.
    You say that you draw the images in Flash. Perhaps the easiest way for me to explain is if you send me a copy of one of your Flash files (the .fla) and I'll try my best to see what I can do.
    You can email me at NOSPAM.e.bramhill@btopenworld.com (just remove the NOSPAM.).
    Egg
    Thanks for the offer Egg. I just emailed you. Better to reply in this forum, as I rarely check that email account, and others might be interested.

Egg, what's heavier? A tonne of coal or a tonne of feathers?

An inch is an inch, be there 72 pixels in it or 96. If you make a 1 inch by 1 inch square in Xara it will export at 96dpi by default. If you change it to 72dpi the image will be smaller, so no longer 1 inch by 1 inch. How then, can that image be 72 dots PER INCH? The dpi has no bearing on the size the image appears on screen.

All the wallpapers on my website are 72ppi and they will fit anybody's screen as they should do. An 800x600 wallpaper will fill an 800x600 resolution - it will not come up smaller.

I agree with you that if you create an image in Xara and want it to be the exact same size on your website, then you have to export it at 96dpi. However, the original question was what is best for the web, 96 or 72? The current standard is 72 because they will download quicker and use up less bandwidth - key points when it comes to web development. Granted, the difference between 96 and 72 is probably marginal, but the standard is still 72.
    Saz ~ Naturally Blonde, Naturally Dizzy!

You got me confuesd: DPI = Dots Per Inch right? So as the Dots are smaller the image is better. Though it does not matter for the web, unless your picture must be perfectly accurate so you can make a big size of it, am I right?

For printing matter the dots should be more densed for better quality disregarding the actual size (width & height) of the image.

So... if I work on the web, why dpi does not matter? If I have a 1x1 inch square with 1000 dots in it, compared to the same square with 10,000 dots in it? It does not make any sense to me.

Logic says: In the same size (width & height): MORE dots = BETTER quality = MORE space... http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

ARGHHH http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif
    DPI makes no difference on the web. There is no web standard. An image exported at 72 dpi will download quicker because it's a smaller image than one at 96 dpi. Why not use 10 dpi? This will download even quicker, because it's even smaller.

I don't know what program you used to create your wallpapers, but import one into Xara. Now export it at 72 dpi. It will not be 800 x 600.

Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Originally posted by Availor:
    You got me confuesd: DPI = Dots Per Inch right? So as the Dots are smaller the image is better. Though it does not matter for the web, unless your picture must be perfectly accurate so you can make a big size of it, am I right?

For printing matter the dots should be more densed for better quality disregarding the actual size (width & height) of the image.
    For printing, a higher DPI is better as it will produce a better quality print. Like you say, smaller dots = better image. For the web, however, a higher DPI means the image will take longer to load in the browser and will use more bandwidth. Something you don't want if you have to pay for your hosting.

So... if I work on the web, why dpi does not matter? If I have a 1x1 inch square with 1000 dots in it, compared to the same square with 10,000 dots in it? It does not make any sense to me.

Logic says: In the same size (width & height): MORE dots = BETTER quality = MORE space... http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/confused.gif
    DPI (PPI to be more accurate as we're talking pixels rather than dots when it comes to the screen), does matter for the web. As I said before, a higher PPI will result in the image taking longer to load and use more bandwidth.

For example, an 800x600 image at 72ppi will appear the same size on the screen as an 800x600 image at 96ppi, 200ppi or 300ppi. The difference will be the time it takes for the browser to download these images from the server they're held on. If you're concerned that a 72ppi won't be good enough quality wise, check out the wallpapers on my site. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

An image exported at 72 dpi will download quicker because it's a smaller image than one at 96 dpi. Why not use 10 dpi? This will download even quicker, because it's even smaller.

I don't know what program you used to create your wallpapers, but import one into Xara. Now export it at 72 dpi. It will not be 800 x 600.
    No it won't, because Xara changes the physical size of the image when you change the dpi, I've already acknowledged that.

Answer me this though - how can a 72dpi image be physically smaller than a 96dpi image? The number is supposed to equate to the number of dots per inch, so the image should be the same size, just have less dots in it.

Saz
    Answer me this though - how can a 72dpi image be physically smaller than a 96dpi image? The number is supposed to equate to the number of dots per inch, so the image should be the same size, just have less dots in it.
    No. Your thinking INCHES. Inches don't exist on a monitor, only pixels. So as you've already stated, in Xara, as you decrease the dpi the pixel dimension reduce. Vice versa if you increase them. Browsers just see the physical dimensions as x pixels wide & y pixels high, and display them as such on screen. So when you reduce the dpi in xara to 72 it decreases the pixel dimensions, thus you have a smaller image, not the same size image with less dots.

Try it yourself, create 2 images the same in Xara. Export first at 96 dpi then again at 72 dpi. Now import them into your web editor. They will be different sizes.

The dpi only matters for printing.

Egg
    Egg

I should have said PPI, but Xara doesn't state PPI it states DPI.

I know that Xara changes the physical size of the image when you change the DPI. I've already acknowledged that.

If inches don't exist on a monitor, only pixels, then what does PPI stand for if not Pixels Per Inch?!

Saz
    pixels and dots per inch seem to be interchangable across programs etc until no ones really sure what's the difference if any. ( DPI is a print term. Computers don't have dots only pixels, so we should really talk about ppi when talking obout computer images)

Create a 96 x 96 pixel square in XaraX.

Change units temporarily and you can see xara says this is a 1" square. Measure it on your screen, I doubt it will measure 1".

Change back to pixels.

Select the square and export as a jpg at 600 dpi. Xara gives this a dimension in Pixels of 600 x 600.

Import it back into Xara. It will be 96 x 96 pixels or 1" square. If you go to print this it should print out as a 1" square. After all the size on export was set at 600 pixels. The dpi was set at 600 dpi, therefore 600/600 = 1". Obviously you wouldn't normally want such a high resolution for a plain square, but you may if you wanted to print a high end catalogue.

Now import it into your web editor. It imports as a 600 x 600 pixel square. So the web editor, nor the browser pays any attention to the dpi setting, just the overall pixel dimensions. That's why I say that exporting an image at 72 dpi only reduces the size of the image file because it's a smaller dimensioned image. You may as well export at 48 dpi. You only get a file size saving because your image is half the size. If you want to create a half size image, do it in your image editor and export at 96 dpi for PC based prog and 72 dpi for Mac based progs.

Egg
    Egg