Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Web Editor Required

I have produced a site in FrontPage, now my "client" wants to be able to edit pages on the fly with Macromedia Contribute. Apparently Contribute edits live pages. I haven't used the Frontpage extensions so I can't edit Live with FrontPage, and if he edits live then I have to download latest pages to edit and publish.

Does anyone know of a freeware editor that I can use to edit live.

Alternately, if I get the Frontpage Extensions turned on, can the Macromedia Contribute still function.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Default Re: Web Editor Required

Contribute will require that the web pages have been produced by Dreamweaver. Dreamweaver adds comments into the pages so that 'editable' regions can be identified by contribute. I would say that you have no chance of getting contribute to work with pages produced by frontpage.

Paul

[Corrected last sentence!]

Contribute can edit any web site so long that it has permission. In both GoLive and Dreamweaver so have the opportunity so set the site with or without permissions. If your client has the login info to get onto the site and you have not set permissions with FrontPage they should be able to download the site and edit the whole site where and when they want to with or without your permission. I have had clients like yourself who want to edit the content and they have used Contribute & Co-Author and these programmes allow 3rd parties to go into sites and edit pages either by uploading a Word doc or using the programme to type or to upload graphics to certain pages in the site which have been defined previously but will not allow this to happen in other areas of the site. To round up anyone with the login info and a HTML editor can go into the site and do what they like but they would have to have some knowledge of the editor and this is where both Contribute & Co-Author scores as it is a simple editor which only allows simple changes with permission.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Ah, that's news to me. I had always thought contribute relied upon dreamweavers editable regions within the pages.

So this means that if he edits the site with Contribute, I then have to download to my computer the updated files edit them and republish ... Correct? Could Contribute still edit the pages if FrontPage extensions were enabled.
    Last edited by ss-kalm; 15 November 2007 at 02:20 AM.
    Keith
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Maybe in the future it would be better not to use FrontPage--the code isnīt very clean and at times is hard to edit. Just a thought.

How comfortable is your client with editing HTML code? Do they understand what they are getting in to?

Paul

I told them this morning that either I do the site, or they do the site. I am not going to mess about with two editors using different software.

It appears that they would rather I continue as I am, rather than open a "can of worms" <NOTE to Gary - Don't need to see a "can of worms" graphic - Thanks>.

And I'm using Frontpage because I've been using it for 10 years and at the time it was the best available IMHO. Now, I'm too cheap to replace it - If it ain't broken don't fix it.

Thank you everyone for your input.
    Keith

How about using dynamic web templates (DWT). They could then edit the pages safely and it wont affect your ability to use Frontpage.

I'd have to learn about them, I know nothing at all about dynamic web templates. Thanks for the information. Will google it - and see what I can find out.
    Keith