Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

did anyone see him on TV?
    I was browsing recently and learned he had died. how sad.
    any other Bob Ross fans here?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bob.jpg 
Views:	531 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	7025  

did anyone see him on TV?
    I was browsing recently and learned he had died. how sad.
    any other Bob Ross fans here?

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Eric - I very much enjoyed watching his show when I was a teenager although I never tried the painting part of it myself at that time. We also had a similar show on tv with a guy who painted his mountain scenes using a house-painting brush. He called it the 'almighty brush' and he would use one brush for the whole painting!

Thanks for the reminder.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

I used to watch him every Saturday morning while cleaning my kitchen. It never ceased to amaze me how he would put a picture together. Not being an arist myself, I never tried the technique (although I should have). I've often thought I should buy one of his pictures as an investment, but never did.

I've recently wondered what happened to him. No, didn't know he'd died. I wonder how he would have liked our little group here, and if he would have liked working with XARA.

http://www.deltamoon.addr.com/deltaplate.gif

Investment value? I don't know what Bob's paintings go for but I'd bet not much. The guy could paint one of those in less than 15 minutes! The work of other artists using similar techniques don't fetch high prices either. I remember there used to be a promoter who took whole transport truck loads of such paintings, set them up in a cheap rented hall somewhere and then advertised the 'Original Oil Paintings' for $19.99 to $49.99 - all works framed!

IMHO the real contribution of people like Bob Ross and the 'almighty brush' guy isn't the images they created, but their encouragement of millions to be more creative. I know they incouraged me and I'm grateful.

Regards, Ross

My condolences to Bob and his family.
    I liked his Zen type approach to painting. Every element like a tree, shrub or hill, had "a place to live" on his canvas. Watching his shows was like a mental massage... Yoga for the brain. I sometimes started dozing off if I was lying on the couch.

Ross. I know who you meant with the almighty brush thing. He was fun to watch. There wasn't a single episode I saw, in which he didn't say and use Prussian Blue!!! Kinda like Neil from Art Attack, without his PVA glue!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Cheers, Wayne

I was more fascinated by his *techniques* than the final painting, i always thought he overdid his stuff with trees, trees and more trees, and the ubiquitous log cabin too! [but in fairness I think he was just cramming it all into his half-hour slot.]
    His mountains were truly breathtaking...a few scrapes with the pallet knife and he would render the whole face of some giant mountain, awesome, I wonder how many truly great artists he has spawned.

R.I.P. Bob

eric

I liked Bob's hair. Wish I could have a head of hair like that. Unfortunately mine is thinning.

Regards, Ross

'When Bob died on July 4, 1995...'

Curiosity led me to search the net for Bob Ross and the Joy of Painting, but it looks like it's a little on the late side for condolences!

I don't recall the show, but he was (and is) clearly an inspiration to a great many people.

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

[This message was edited by Peter Duggan on August 26, 2001 at 17:50.]

Peter - I can imagine ol' Bob in Heaven looking down on this conversation and shaking his head at how slow we have been. He was incredibly fast painting his scenes. If he pushed himself I'm sure he could have painted four large (and surprisingly detailed) oils in an hour. While I didn't like his art I did like how effectively he could communicate what he was thinking as he was painting.

Regards, Ross