Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

... Gary, for the info on xeriscaped I couldn't find it in the dictionary.

The 'at home' reference is an English colloquialism which is said when something is not understood such as a word. So if you hear a word like 'desquamate' you may say "blimey what's desquamate when it's at 'ome". Typically being from Hampshire (and also not far from London) the 'h' in 'home' tends to get dropped as well.

I usually try to avoid using colloquialisms too much but this one just crept in, sorry about that.

Another good one is "Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs" which is used to express amazement at something. I think that one comes from the North of England, but not sure; however you don't hear it much nowadays. Can't even begin to figure out how that one came about!

Also (probably because we get a lot of US TV programmes here and now with the internet) I've started picking up US words/phrases too now. So much so that I've started saying 'Movies' instead of 'films' and 'cops' instead of 'police'. And the other day I even found myself spelling 'colour' without the 'u' ... scary!

Anyway, thanks again for the info, it made me think of a new word 'Xarascaped', for when you create a scene with Xara :-)

Regards

Su
    "If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life." - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Also (probably because we get a lot of US TV programmes here and now with the internet) I've started picking up US words/phrases too now. So much so that I've started saying 'Movies' instead of 'films' and 'cops' instead of 'police'. And the other day I even found myself spelling 'colour' without the 'u' ... scary! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My long suffering wife and I watch a lot of BBC programs and read a lot of British novels, Margaret Drabble, Iris Murdoch, Penelope Lively, Evelyn Waugh, and others. So we find ourselves referring to "tinned meat", "cling film", the "electric fire", "lorries" and caravans", and other anglocisms.

Ain't it great :-)

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Not left handed at all. As you know, most people slap a silly animation, replace the background and call it a redesign. THis is nothing like that. Milt

Gary

Absolutely great, I've always found simplicity to be the hardest thing to do.

My favourite 'truism' that I've picked up along the way, which I try to follow where skill permits, is

"It's not what you put on the page, it's what you leave off, that counts"

'White' space is just as important as the contents, A lot of people starting out (obviously not you, [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] but for others in general) try to cram too much on a single page, because they can. In almost every case doucments look better with more 'white' space and they often much easier to read.

I like the way the eye follows the centre of the screen and does not need to scan left or right, when I get my HTML skills up to scratch I must try that sometime [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Peter

The style challenged Pete'sCrypt
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt